ABB’s NCITs for GIS use two redundant Rogowski coils to measure the current. The primary voltage is measured by redundant capactive voltage sensors. The measured values are digitally processed by the secondary converters and sent to the merging unit, which provides the values according to IEC 61850-9-2 LE to protection, control and revenue metering equipment. The CP-MU merging unit was the world‘s first to be conformance certified by UCA International Users Group. With multiple Ethernet ports and connections to NCITs, it offers high flexibility to system design.
- Protection and monitoring for digital substations
- One multi-purpose electronic current transformer (ECT) or electronic voltage transformer (EVT) for protection, measurement and metering for all applications
- More compact than current transformer (CT) or voltage transformer (VT), hence reducing the footprint of the GIS
- Redundant secondary converter (sensor electronics) can be replaced during operation, with no calibration necessary
- No project specific dimensioning and manufacturing resulting in reduction in cost
- Higher availability of primary equipment and improved safety