The surge arresters are constructed from a stack of serially connected - extremely non-linear metal-oxide (MO) resistors in a metallic enclosure under pressurized SF6-gas. The high-field MO resistors of ABB surge arresters are manufactured by ABB.
The surge arrester is designed and type-tested according to IEC 62271-203 and IEC 60099-4.
Surge arresters are used to protect the insulation of gas-insulated switchgear, and connected cables, transformers etc. against all kind of transient atmospheric and switching overvoltages.
- Protection of gas-insulated switchgear
- Protection of cables
- Protection of transformers
- Over 75 years of experience in overvoltage protection
- Local and global ABB application support
- Proven safe short-circuit design
- Design life of more than 30 years
- Own production of metal-oxide (MO) resistors with long-term stable characteristics
- Compact design
- Low residual voltages
- Very good protection performance
- High energy absorption capacity