PML630 is a compact load-shedding controller, which belongs to ABB's Relion® product family. PML630 is designed to prevent disturbance-related blackouts and power outages in small to medium-sized industrial power networks. This product offers increased flexibility and scalability and improved system integration and customization, fulfilling a variety of requirements and needs. This controller is designed to unleash the full potential of the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation devices.
There is close integration between PML630 and other Relion protection and control relays, the remote I/O unit RIO600 and the Human Machine Interface (HMI) -based COM600, to ensure the high performance level expected of a load-shedding application. This product provides a similar approach to the load shedding solution as in the widely accepted ABB system 800xA.
The PML630 supports four types of functions:
- Fast load-shedding based on network contingencies
- Slow load-shedding based on either overloading of power sources or power demand violation at grid coupling points
- Manual load-shedding based on operator-initiated actions
- Underfrequency load-shedding as backup to fast load-shedding
For a power network configuration exceeding the limits defined for a single PML630 device, additional PML630 devices can be configured to interoperate as peer controllers and be responsible for load-shedding in their respective areas. Why ABB?
- Safeguard and provide value for investments
- Ensure high availability of customer process through high performance solution
- Easy system integration using open and well accepted communication technologies
- Seamless integration of protection & control, station automation and power management functionality in medium voltage switchgear