The tests stipulated in the basic standard to demonstrate conformity today are numerous and they vary from product to product.
In general, we can say that the tests can be classified in two large categories: those to demonstrate that emission limits are met and those to demonstrate that an adequate level of immunity is met.
The emissions and immunity tests, in turn, are divided into radiation tests, with disturbances transmitted through the air, and conducted tests, with disturbances coupled directly to the cables of the equipment itself.
The conducted tests apply to various circuits of the apparatus (ports) in a distinct way, depending on the type of equipment. In fact, there are different configurations, couplings and testing levels for the power-supply port as opposed to signal or communication ports, etc.
The following are some tests and measurements included in the Standards, all of which are regularly carried out at the ABB Dalmine factory EMC laboratory.
- Immunity to electrostatic discharges in accordance with IEC 61000-4-2
- Immunity to radiated, radio-frequency, electromagnetic field in accordance with IEC 61000-4-3
- Immunity to electrical fast transients/burst (up to 4.5 kV) in accordance with IEC/ EN 61000-4-4
- Immunity to surge (up to 6.5 kV) in accordance with IEC / EN 61000-4-5
- Immunity to conducted disturbances, induced by radio frequency fields (150 kHz to 80/230 MHz) in accordance with IEC 61000-4-6
- Immunity to magnetic fields at power frequency (50 / 60 Hz) in accordance with IEC 61000-4-8
- Immunity to pulse magnetic fields in accordance with IEC 61000-4-9
- Immunity to voltage dips, short interruptions and voltage variations on AC power supply ports in accordance with IEC 61000-4-11
- Immunity to voltage dips, short interruptions and voltage variations on DC power supply ports in accordance with IEC 61000-4-29
- Immunity to ring wave current in accordance with IEC/EN 61000-4-12
- Immunity harmonics and interharmonics including mains signalling at a.c. power port, in accordance with IEC 61000-4-13
- Immunity to voltage fluctuations for equipment with input current not exceeding 16 A per phase in accordance with IEC 61000-4-14
- Immunity to conducted, common mode disturbances in the frequency range 0 Hz to 150 kHz in accordance with IEC 61000-4-16
- Immunity to ripple on DC input power port in accordance with IEC 61000-4-17
- Immunity to damped oscillatory waves (100 kHz and 1-3-10-30 MHz) in accordance with IEC/EN 61000-4-18
- Immunity to variations of power frequency for equipment with input current not exceeding 16 A per phase in accordance with IEC 61000-4-28
- Measurement of harmonic current emissions (equipment input current ≤ 16 A per phase) in accordance with IEC 61000-3-2
- Voltage changes and flicker measurements in public low-voltage power-supply systems, for equipment with rated current <= 16 A and not subject to conditional connection in accordance with IEC 61000-3-3
- Conducted emission in accordance with CISPR 11 for industrial, scientific and medical equipment (ISM) and CISPR 22 for information technology equipment (ITE)
- Radiated emission in accordance with CISPR 11for industrial, scientific and medical equipment (ISM) and CISPR 22 for information technology equipment (ITE)
For the sake of simplicity, we will not go into detail on product regulations. Please search the Laboratory internal database for more in-depth information.
Last page update: 2016.12.15 - Rev.: 1.0