Minimizing OPEX with affordable, reliable and high-quality power
Today, the global mining industry is facing multiple challenges including flat commodity prices, declining ore grade quality, skilled labour shortage, strict environmental guidelines and rising energy costs. Add to this the depletion of reserves in existing mines, and the industry is now being forced to open new mines in far-off locations. All these challenges impact mining business operations, leading to a slower growth and shrinking profits.
The mining industry is energy intensive with power consumption accounting for 15% to 40% of the mine’s total operating budget1. Most mines, especially those located in remote off-gird regions, heavily rely on diesel generators for its power consumption. Mines are also under severe scrutiny to follow local and international environmental regulations in minimizing carbon footprint.
Becoming self-reliant and generating eco-friendly power while keeping costs low is the solution to address these collective challenges.
ABB PowerStoreTM is a reliable containerized plug-and-play microgrid solution, best suited to meet the energy demands of the mining industry. PowerStore is the heartbeat of any microgrid and its “Virtual Generator” can form the grid, integrating up to 100% of renewable energy.
Our solution helps to:
- Reduce energy expenses significantly
- Cut-down diesel consumption and minimize OPEX
- Ensure uninterrupted power supply to off-grid remote mines
- Ensure continuous mine operations and maximize productivity
- Minimize dependency on grid power supply
- Reduction in CO2 emissions
- Comply with environmental regulations
- Become energy self-sufficient in the longer run
1 - Source: Top 10 business risks facing mining and metals – 2016 - 17 by Ernst & Young