Shell form large power transformers typically use more electrical steel for the core and are more resilient to short-circuit in the transmission systems and are frequently used in industrial applications
With shell-formed transformers, the primary and secondary are on one leg and surrounded by the core.
- Unit ratings: up to 1300 MVA
- Primary voltage: up to 765 kV
- Single or three-phase
- Compact design to meet transportation limits, including the possibility of lay down transportation.
- Exceptional mechanical robustness and natural ability to withstand short circuit events and transportation accelerations.
- As the technology pioneer, ABB has the flexibility to electrically and mechanically match existing units that make it the best option for replacement of transformers, meeting dimensional and connection arrangements and impedance requirements, even those with low impedances, high impedances to tertiary winding and lay-down operation.