The IEC 61850 standard for utility automation, with its ten parts, is the international standard regulating the communication of the electrical grid. It facilitates open systems, and flexible architectures ensuring interoperable systems for a future proof investment.
ABB has, from the very beginning, taken a leading role in the development of this standard. We fully embrace the standard and make it the focus of all our automation solutions.
- Complete portfolio of interoperable systems, products and tools, fully compliant with IEC61850
- Flexible system architecture to cope with changing requirements, philosophies and technologies
- Field-proven functionality and hardware, as well as innovative technologies, ensure best solutions for all substation applications
- High availability and fast access to precise information from anywhere in the system to shorten response times and reduce the duration of outages
- Cyber security, embedded from the earliest stages of our design process, through development and project execution, to ensure full functionality, without compromising reliability and interoperability.
- System performance tested by unique ABB System Verification Center, the first manufacturer’s test lab entitled to test and certify IEC 61850 conformity in line with the UCA® International User Group Quality Assurance Program
The ABB digital substation is the result of the evolution of the IEC 61850 standard, now extending between substations and to the network control center. ABB has proven its technological leadership in several digital substations around the world.