IEC 61850, the global standard for communication in substations, is bringing open, Interoperable, systems, and flexible architectures, to the substation automation domain.
Today’s power utilities operate more globally and require flexible, future-proof systems to cope with changing requirements, philosophies, and technologies.
Achieving this requires adherence to a standard ensuring essential features such as interoperability between devices from different suppliers, free allocation of functions, capability to follow the fast changing communication technology, and ease of engineering and maintenance. Utilities' investments are safeguarded by the long term stability of the standard.
ABB has, from the beginning, taken a leading role in the elaboration of a corresponding standard in the field of substation automation; IEC 61850. ABB will continue to carry out the elaboration, implementation and verification of interoperability in line with the evolution and extension of IEC 61850.
SVC System Verification and Validation Center
To verify the proper implementation of IEC 61850 throughout its portfolio, ABB has established a System Verification Center (SVC). Each and every product, system component, application and tool is tested in a real-life system environment to prove its appropriate working and performance – functionally and interactively. Complete systems are verified to ensure they fully meet the requirements in terms of communication, integration, functionality and performance.
- Qualified by the UCA International Users Group to an IEC 61850 test facility and competence center
- The first manufacturer’s test lab in the world to be qualified
- Officially entitled to test and certify the IEC 61850 conformity of products and attach the Users Group Label to them
- Meets the high quality of common test procedures to be used by all labs in accordance with IEC 61850-10 and the UCA Quality Assurance Program (Level A independent lab, Level B manufacturer’s lab)
- Permanent installation representing a large substation automation system for real-life testing
- Provides supporting guidelines for architecture, engineering and important system limitations of its tested products
- Provides detailed Release notes and SAC (Substation Automation Certified products) list as reference for the system
compatibility of the tested products and tools
- Quality assurance for our customers