PDC600 is a new Phasor Data Concentrator developed by ABB to fulfil the modern requirements and applications of Wide Area Monitoring Systems. PDC600 is a software solution that can be installed in PC type of servers. This new Phasor Data Concentrator is based on the state-of-the-art development of communication for synchrophasor applications. It is designed to fulfil the requirements from simple to sophisticated wide area applications.
PDC600 is compliant with the latest releases of IEEE C37.118 standards, and IEEE C37.244 guide for phasor data concentrators. The high performance of PDC600 provides the required capability for the most advanced wide area monitoring applications, whilst providing seamless communication interface for pure exchange of synchrophasors.
It also provides a communication gateway to exchange data with other utilities or external partners in IEEE C37.118 format. The user can select and configure the signals to be shared in different output data streams, also configurable. In addition, it is possible to communicate the PMU measurements and the results of the advanced applications to SCADA/EMS systems as a way to improve the supervision of the system, providing the operator with a clear indication how likely the system is to collapse, thus giving the possibility to react in time.
Together with the new Phasor Data Concentrator, a software tool for the engineering and configuration of PDC600 is available. SMT600 is the new Synchrophasor Management Tool for the configuration, parameterization, monitoring and supervision of the PDC600. The modern interface of the tool provides an easy to handle user experience for the most complex applications. Based on simple and guided steps the user can quickly prepare and manage synchrophasor data for different type of applications.
Features and benefits
> Read more features and benefits
- Up-to-date product compliant with IEEE C37.244-2013 Guide for Phasor Data Concentrator Requirements for Power System Protection, Control and Monitoring enabling compatibility to international standards and markets
- Compliancy with latest edition of the standard for synchrophasor measurements for power systems IEEE C37.118-2011 aligned with the latest release of the Phasor Measurement Unit RES670 V.2.0
- Solution with improved scalability for hierarchical systems (functionality can reside on a single server or distributed servers) that enables centralized or distributed architectures, for small or big systems with different requirements, and cost effective solution to fulfil customer needs without compromising functionality
- Configurable amount of output data streams that enables the communication of synchrophasor data to independent and different clients with independent and configurable signals for each output data stream
- Configurable and scalable amount of PMUs as input data streams to cover from simple applications up to the most sophisticated applications
- New OPC technology suitable for large number of PMUs that facilitates interface to other systems (connectivity to third party systems), and vendor independent solutions that reduces costs for engineering and maintenance
- Interface to SCADA / EMS using standard communication protocols, like IEC 60870-5-104 or DNP3.0
- Local PDC in the substations or regional control centers as data storage in case of telecommunication failure (data storage is optional)
- Data aggregation with or without time alignment at substation/regional level that allows accommodation of different system requirements, optimization of communication bandwidth and engineering of single device/function for several clients
- Increased system flexibility that enables lower dependency on core components, and improves the possibility to evolve the system design over time, i.e., scalable solution from small system to more advanced system
- Simplified system interaction and management provided by configuration of specific components with task oriented steps, less risk to damage the system and the real time operation
- Simplified engineering and maintenance with possibility to accommodate various system requirements, like different data rates
- Share common processing for multiple applications (time alignment, up/down data rate, etc.), as it provides a single source of information with the correct adaptations for different applications, resulting in lower costs for implementation and maintenance
- Configurable access rights for each PMU for better supervision of assets and monitoring of cyber security policy and events
- Data filter function to select signals that can be transmitted, which makes it possible to be used as gateway functionality for the exchange of synchrophasor with partner companies, enabling the easy integration of WAMS from different utilities
- High performance data streaming for real-time advanced on-line applications that supports power system operators with power system monitoring and supervision on both WAMS and SCADA / EMS
- Flexible system engineering with output data streams that can be configured separately and independently for independent clients/applications, and clear identification of data towards clients/applications
- Control of the bandwidth to optimize communication, i.e., different output data streams with different transfer rate according to the demand of each client application, resulting in optimized and better utilized communication channels
- Support to both IPv4 and IPv6 available in the standard configuration that makes it ready for the future without further upgrade and costs
- Event logging that provides tracking of operation and manipulation of the functionality with easy traceability and rapid debugging of problems
- Automatic supervision and re-connection of PMU communication links that prevents manual re-configuration in case of communication failure, providing immediate awareness and identification of the problem, lower outage time due to interruption of communication and less maintenance costs
- Central User Account Management via SDM600 (System Data Manager) that enforces password policies and provides system wide role based user account management.