The ABB plant in the Rakovski industrial zone near Plovdiv, produces components for low and medium voltage equipment. This factory represents a $ 20 million greenfield investment of ABB in Bulgaria, being the third production unit of the ABB Group in the country. The production unit employs more than 800 employees from the region.
The ABB Bulgaria Rakovski branch is located in the Rakovski Industrial Park very close to Plovdiv, the second largest city of Bulgaria. The factory is built on a total area of 35,000 m² having about 20,000 m² of production area and it is acting as an internal supplier of low voltage and medium voltage components for ABB factories mainly in Italy and Germany, as well as for other factories within the ABB Group, in countries such as France, Norway, India and China, with prospects for a further expansion of the business.
ABB Bulgaria Ltd. - branch Rakovski supports integrated systems for quality management, environment management and health and safety management, which have been certified according to the international ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 standards. This shows the company's continuous improvement of processes in these fields, minimizes the negative effect on the environment and aims to assure the health and safety of its employees and partners.
The factory successfully combines several production types for low and medium voltage components, in order to sustain ABB’s automation products’ strong growth and support the expansion of the low voltage product range:
• Metallic Enclosures - kit system enclosure production: punching, bending, welding, painting, assembling and packaging operations Line Protection Devices - manual assembling of sub-parts (new RCBO product family and other components)
• Low Voltage Breakers Components - production of thermosetting parts (injectionmoulding and compression moulding, deburring); assembling of fixed parts / sub-parts of MCCB (Tmax and XT) and welding of sub-assemblies
• Miniature Circuit Breakers – production of poles for MCB on light automated lines
• Plastic Enclosures - injection moulding and assembling of sub-parts / finished products
• Surge Protection Device : assembling of finished product
• Fusegears – manual assembling of finished product and direct delivery to the Local Sales Organizations
The presence of an in-company test laboratory ensures the possibility for all the incoming and process quality tests to be performed, for both localization projects and the production activities in place.