Join the Global Trainee Program
Power up your career
Join ABB’s Global Trainee Program and enjoy working with pioneering technologies on challenging international projects - while benefiting from experienced mentors, and world-class training.
During the Global Trainee Program (GTP), you will gain the competencies needed to launch a career in your chosen field. You will contribute to a range of challenging international projects that will help you develop your leadership skills, deepen your knowledge and understanding of key aspects of your discipline and gain insights into the business strategy of one of the world's most innovative organizations.
You will have the opportunity to choose from six GTP paths: Digital, Finance, HR, Information Systems, Research & Development and Procurement & Logistics. You will contribute to the planning of your own program based on your interests, and the skills you need to excel.
How is the program structured?
The program will begin with a week-long induction program at ABB HQ in Zurich. There, you will meet your fellow trainees, and network with senior leaders, while building your support group.
You will then participate in three assignments:
- One six-month assignment in your home country as an introduction to your chosen discipline within the business
- One six-month assignment in Zurich (or regional headquarters) to get an overview of ABB’s global operations and work at a strategic level.
- One six-to-12-month assignment in another country, gaining valuable insight into local operations, widening your network and deepening your understanding of your function
What support and training will you receive?
- Mentoring and coaching from colleagues and senior leaders
- Professional development through various on-the-job and classroom learning sessions
- Training programs to develop your communication skills
- Personal development programs to build leadership skills and time management techniques, and to learn how to work efficiently in virtual teams
- Professional qualifications and opportunities to develop your career
What do we look for in our trainees?
- Recent master’s graduate with a degree in a relevant discipline and a strong academic track record
- Not more than 1.5 years of professional work experience (excluding internships) after completing your master's degree
- Fluency in English (mandatory), with proficiency in other languages highly beneficial
- Excellent communication and relationship-building skills
- Maturity, a high level of cultural awareness, and willingness to work internationally
- Resilience and drive in the face of rapid change
Application and selection process
1. Search and apply online here
2. Participate in a phone or video interview
3. Complete an online English test
4. Join a one day session at ABB's Assessment Center, participating in case study discussions
5. Participate in a final interview with a business leader and GTP program manager
Meet our trainees, past and present
Our trainees are working to become the next generation of leaders, combining enthusiasm and ambition with a spirit of collaboration and a strong sense of integrity. They think globally and relish the opportunity to work with colleagues from different backgrounds all over the world. However, you do not simply have to take our word for it: Hear directly from some of our talented current and past trainees about their personal experiences during the Global Trainee Program.