Enhance your skills and competencies
We value our talent and are ready to invest in its development, therefore, we have created and keep growing our portfolio of different learning programs.
From personal development to the skills you need to excel as a manager or a specialist in your field, we have it covered.
For all employees
With a global network of more than 120 learning centers and numerous internal and external experts ABB University provides a wide range of learning opportunities.
Its course offering is delivered in various languages and covers the following topics:
- Products, technology and solutions courses: ABB technology and systems; customer processes and product applications
- Business processes and tools courses: Sales, Service, Project Management, OPEX and more
- Management, personal and leadership development: presentation techniques, meeting effectiveness, finance for non-financial people, negotiations skills and others
In addition to the traditional training settings, ABB University offers online learning applications:
- Self-study lessons and tutorials for teaching and testing
- Group learning and virtual classroom tools
Furthermore, there are reference materials available for keeping up to date with the latest developments.
English is our corporate language and we have excellent online courses to help you and your family to learn or improve it; there are 2,000 hours of content with 500 videos and 1,000s of practical exercises. You also have access to teacher-led virtual classrooms - lessons start every hour, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
But talking to our customers and suppliers around the world in their native language is always good for business. So you can use the latest online courses to learn 23 different languages, from Arabic to Vietnamese.
Technical and professional development
From R&D to operational excellence, sales, service and beyond, we have analyzed how our most capable and efficient people work and the expertise they share at each level.
Using our findings, we have developed a range of modular programs to help you master your area of expertise and make more of the opportunities in your field.
To ensure that the competency-sets are up to date we have established professional councils that work closely with internal experts, external organizations, and benchmark companies.
We depend on your growth and development. The more you make of your talent, the better we do as a company.
So, in addition to personalized learning and development plans, there is the opportunity to obtain further academic or professional qualifications. Show us your dedication and we will support you.
From MBAs and PhDs to Engineering, Finance or Project Management, our talents get the qualifications they need to get ahead.
As an engineering company keeping up with the latest technical knowledge is vital.
We acquire and disseminate technical know how through a combination of formal training, job rotations, shadowing of experts or participating in professional networks and alliances.
The program consists of three week-long modules taken over eight months. It is conducted at the Institute of International Management Development (IMD) facilities in Lausanne, Switzerland, with faculty from IMD and guest appearances from ABB senior leaders and Members of the Executive Committee. SLDP is an invitation-only seminar supported by the CEO and the EC. The exposure and interaction with Group senior officers and world-class faculty is a significant element of the program, allowing participants to test and challenge newly acquired knowledge against current reality and their day-to-day operations.
To prepare these future leaders, ABB has partnered with The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania (ranked by Bloomberg BusinessWeek as the #2 business school in the U.S.) to design a year-long learning journey blending experiential learning with a personalized custom development opportunity.
Grounded in ABB’s Values in Action, the program’s primary objective is to fast-track our next generation of leaders by strengthening their leadership capabilities.
During the program, they will engage with Wharton’s world-renowned faculty and personalize their journey by selecting from Wharton’s broad slate of open-enrollment programs.
“Participating, after an exciting selection process, in the first week of the global ‘Emerging Leaders Program’ was a great honor and definitely did exceed all expectations. It was a week full of intensive considerations around ABB values & my personal skills, great leadership insights and a truly collaborative learning experience with a great team in a very motivating environment.”
~Raphael Görner, LPG Manager System Integration.
The Middle Management Program is a transformational journey to support Middle Managers in embracing ABB Values in Action, to effectively lead managers and teams to execute on strategy. The focus is on strategic orientation, financial acumen, ability to lead and influence across boundaries, foster a culture of trust & collaboration and lead with innovation, to secure exceptional business results, today and tomorrow.
- Enable Middle Managers to deal with complexity and ambiguity in their roles
Provide them with a deep understanding of our Next Level Strategy and Values in Action, and their roles in driving these through their teams
- Equip them to make strategic choices that will translate into successful operational decisions and financial results
- Fulfill the role of a Leader who stands in two places: managing the success of today, and work relentlessly to ensure the success of tomorrow
- Lead improvement and innovation by continuously applying the outside-in customer context and ABB's business strategy
MDP is designed to equip First Line Managers (who manage individual contributors) and Project Managers with advanced leadership skills to manage and lead a high performing team. The purpose of the program is to support the implementation of Next Level strategy through a consistent performance management approach utilizing the ABB Values in Action.
- Managers will be equipped to communicate with their team members and other colleagues in a versatile manner - build impactful relationships, handle conflict and create more focused and productive teams
- Learn to integrate the 5 essential practice areas of management & leadership and management approaches as five practices areas of management & leadership: Direction, Goals, Feedback, Recognition and Support
- Influence and lead by fostering collaboration and cooperation in the team
- Apply different techniques for generating new strategic ideas that drive innovative change
Management Essentials is designed to support participants transition from an Individual Contributor to a First Line Manager. Participants will be equipped with the basic knowledge, skills and tools to manage and lead by applying the Values in Action.
- Define the ABB culture and one’s contribution to the company as a First Line Manager
- Identify the shift in role and values when moving to Managerial role and how these values drive behavior and influence one’s situation (Values in Action)
- Introduction of methods and tools for managing oneself and one's teams
ABB has created a leadership program titled Come to the Edge to support development of ABB’s organizational culture based on the ABB Values.
ABB has developed and launched a leadership program the purpose of which is to equip participants with the skills to build a strong and agile organizational culture based on the ABB Values.
The program is targeted at all those employees who are in a line management or leadership role. Program variants have been produced that cater for the range of managers from the most senior leaders to those in a first line management position.
The program learning outcomes:
- Be inspired by ABB’s vision and mission and to be excited by the opportunity to ‘write the future together’
- Bring our Values to life, and to role-model Values in Action
- Become committed to the critical importance of ABB’s organizational culture, in particular the need to create an organization which has learning agility, and is a network of high performing collaborating teams
- Be inspired to model the leadership required to develop the desired culture and to become part of a change community equipped with a framework and toolkit to lead the team culture, coach, tell stories to champion ABB’s vision, mission and values
- Receive feedback on your personal leadership and impact on others and to gain clarity on your priority development needs
- Be able to Identify the opportunities that digitalization provides to accelerate learning
ABB life is designed to provide our early talent an opportunity to build a strong foundation at ABB and to focus on their career development. Participants will network with regional colleagues and explore a number of key topics including strategic thinking, finance, coaching skills, development planning, and action learning capabilities. The participants profile are graduates in the first 5 years of their career with at least one year of ABB experience in any discipline.
- Build leadership capability to meet the challenges of the international business environment
- Develop an understanding of the ABB Business Model
- Create a multi-cultural experience for understanding different ways of thinking and responding to global challenges
- Personal self-discovery and focus on developing one’s career at ABB