4. Why do we need and use your personal data?
We primarily process your personal data to fulfil and perform our recruitment processes with regards to the current and future job positions for which you apply. As part of the recruitment process, we need to process your personal data which are required by us to assess whether you are the right candidate for an open job position, to potentially enter into an employment relationship with you, to perform the contractual and legal obligations associated with the recruitment or which we are required by law to collect and process (mainly based on labor laws).
Without processing of certain of such personal data, ABB will generally not be able to perform your recruitment, establish and maintain an employment relationship with you or to take any contractual or legal action on your request. Where it concerns processing operations related to your recruitment, ABB will not be able to adequately perform such operation at your request without certain personal data and you may not be able to exercise your related rights if you do not provide the personal data requested. Your job application may also be rejected in case that the personal data you provided during the recruitment is incomplete and/or inaccurate.
We may use your personal data as listed above in particular for the following purposes:
- talent management and acquisition including recruitment, assessing suitability and working capacity, background checks and verification of qualifications, obtaining and providing references;
- processes related to joining and leaving including internal moves and terminations;
- carrying out the obligations and exercising specific rights in the field of employment and social security law or a collective agreement;
- internal health and safety programs including health and safety and accident records or reporting and managing process quality;
- human resources management including organization and personal administration, working hours management, improving and maintaining effective staff administration, internal workforce analysis, reporting and planning;
- managing IT resources, including infrastructure management including data back-up, information systems’ support and service operations for application management, end user support, testing, maintenance, security (incident response, risk, vulnerability, breach response), master data and workplace including user accounts management, software licenses assignment, security and performance testing and business continuity.
and additionally, in case of conclusion of an employment contract or defined claims deriving from the recruiting process, in particular:
- payroll, compensation and benefits management including providing staff benefits and maintaining salary, compensations, allowances, benefits, insurances, pensions and performance reviews;
- learning and development management including certifications, training staff and performing assessments and employee satisfaction surveys;
- sickness and other leave and vacations management;
- travel and expenses management and organization of business trips including monitoring of travelers to provide support during security or medical emergencies; providing travel security, health and safety training and on a voluntary basis assistance in giving security support during emergencies;
- internal and external communication of ABB’s organization and representation of ABB;
- managing ABB assets including pictures and videos depicting employees or other individuals available for download on the ABB intranet, ABB website, etc.;
- reorganization, acquisition and sale of activities, business units and companies;
- business reporting, statistics and analytics;
- monitoring and auditing compliance of employees’ activities in the workplace with ABB’s corporate policies, contractual obligations and legal requirements including disciplinary actions;
- governance, risk and compliance, including compliance with laws, law enforcement, court and regulatory bodies’ requirements (such as KYC, AML, customs and global trade compliance and security obligations) and prevention, detection, investigation and remediation of crime and fraud or prohibited activities or to otherwise protect legal rights and to establish, exercise or defend legal claims;
- video surveillance or CCTV for the purposes of public and staff safety, building security and crime prevention and detection;
- access control system providing electronically controlled ingress and/or egress for authorized individuals to locations that have access restrictions and a registry of personnel on site in case of emergencies; and
- intrusion detection including 3rd party monitoring of duress, perimeter, internal security points and ancillary supervisory monitors for site maintenance/automated systems.
We only collect the personal data from you that we need for the above purposes described. The use of your personal data provided during your job application will be limited to a need-to-know basis and shared only with the employees and third parties that are directly involved in the recruitment processes for the specific position. Whenever you are asked to provide us with your personal data, we will indicate which personal data is required and which personal data may be provided voluntarily and on which legal basis such personal data is required to be processed.
For certain assessments or decision-making processes, we may use automated methods of processing your personal data to build a profile and to make a recruitment decision based on personal data that we have obtained as described in this Notice. If this is the case we will inform you about such processing of your personal data, giving you information about the involved logic and the possible consequences of such automated methods of processing. In general, the logic used to make this decision is based on the minimum requirements of the job description and if your experience and background is matching these requirements and the potential consequences of this automated decision making are that your application may be rejected in case your profile does not meet these requirements. In case we use automated methods, you have a right to obtain human intervention or to express your point of view and to contest the decision by submitting a data subject request at www.abb.com/privacy. You also have the right to object to profiling activities by submitting a data subject request or to withdraw a consent given by you to such processing at www.abb.com/privacy.
We may also anonymously collect your personal information so that we can no longer (in)directly identify you or single you out as an individual by that information and then use that information for further processing purposes, including statistical purposes, improvement of our services and testing of our IT systems.