Unlocking the potential of the microgrids through smart coordination and automation
The Microgrid Plus Control System is a designed for purpose, networked control system for microgrids, responsible for coordinating the operation of different generation sources and loads. Through its unique design, the system ensures the successful integration of renewables and storage technologies into both new and existing microgrid installations. The system provides intelligent and efficient power management with the ability to serve all the needs of microgrid applications.
A few typical microgrid application objectives are as follows:
- To ensure consistently stable power system operating points and power flows during steady state and following transient network events,
- To maximize the utilization of renewable energy to achieve the best possible return on capital investments,
- Address network performance requirements such as:
- Achieve seamless transitions from grid-connected to islanded operation, and back again,
- Perform frequency and voltage control or support within the network, as well as
- Provide real and reactive power balancing.
At its core the Microgrid Plus Control system is designed to coordinate the energy flow within a power network to ensure that the power flow is always effectively and efficiently managed. This includes ensuring sufficient spinning reserve and step load capability is held, but without excess, and always maintaining the careful balance between supply and demand in the network.
Some of the system’s core advantages include:
- Low design & engineering cost through modular, scalable and pre-configured controller devices,
- Maximizing fuel savings through utilizing the available renewable energy, applying smart control schemes, and algorithms,
- Minimize the operating hours of diesel generators by using storage, loads, and renewable energy firm capacity to provide spinning reserve and step load,
- High reliability through the use of redundant networked architecture,
- Low investment costs through the use of simple and non-proprietary I/O’s and common communications protocol,
- Low integration costs as legacy control system can remain in place,
- Easy to setup and commission, due to self-explaining web based engineering tools.
Microgrid Plus now joining forces with RTU500 and MicroSCADA Pro
Backed with the power of RTU500 and MicroSCADA Pro the Microgrid Plus control system is capable to meet the most demanding control, SCADA and communication requirements, allowing end users to finally bridge the gap between generation and network management for the Microgrid.
With RTU500 and MicroSCADA Pro, Microgrid Plus plant operations are simplified, grid compliant renewable power production is achieved, all whilst and maximizing asset return on investments.
This combined control and SCADA offering provides the following advantages:
- A unique, seamless integration for automation and SCADA covering the entire grid-connected renewables value chain
- Strong and resilient cyber security features for secure communication via all forms of networks,
- Integrated IEC 61131 PLC engineering tools
- Secure communication via all forms of networks
- Secure investment thanks to agile migration concepts as well as functional and software extensions,
- Integration of all plant assets into a single management system, capable to make the connection from dispersed renewables, all the way to network management system
- A total solution for cohesive plant monitoring, diagnostics, and control
- Advanced power system functions like seamless grid integration and grid code compliance, coupled with
- Optimized operations & maintenance of entire power plants