ABB’s GIS can be equipped with control, protection and communication features for smooth integration into substation automation systems using IEC 61850.
For connection to the IEC 61850-9-2 process bus, non-conventional instrument transformers (NCITs) for GIS with merging units are used for sampled values for protection and metering. Alternatively, SAM600 stand-alone merging units can be connected to conventional current or voltage transformers of the GIS.
ABB's Relion® series are used for protection, control, measurement and supervision. SF6 density in the GIS is supervised by modular switchgear monitoring (MSM) device while SwitchsyncTM PWC600 point-on-wave controllers are used for controlled switching and circuit breaker monitoring. Circuit breaker and gas density monitoring data can additionally be accessed via embedded web servers. All these features use IEC 61850 communication protocols at the process and station bus.
In our C designated GIS product line, digital monitoring, measurement, control and protection based on IEC 61850 are integrated into the local control cubicle (LCC) within the bay. ABB Relion series of protection and control IEDs allow flexible combination of control and functionality in one device.
- Control, protection and monitoring for digital substations
- ABB is the pioneer in GIS technology with 50 years of proven experience
- More than 380 ABB's NCITs have been in continuous service for more than a decade
- More than 25 years of experience and thousands of Switchsync controlllers installed in various applications and environments
- ABB offers a comprehensive portfolio of process and station bus compatible control and protection devices