Gas-insulated surge arrester AZ is constructed from a stack of serially connected – extremely non-linear metal-oxide (MO) resistors in a metallic enclosure under pressurized SF6-gas. The special design with high-field blocks allows reduction of the size of the surge arrester, which is an important factor for GIS.
These surge arresters are designed and type-tested according to IEC 62271-203 and IEC 60099-4.
Surge arresters are used to protect the insulation of gas-insulated switchgear as well as the connecting cables and transformers against transient lightning and switching overvoltages.
The surge current monitoring system SAM 3.0 is capable of sensitively registering surges from lightning and switching in combination with total leakage current. The values are shown digitally on an electronic display. It consists of a current sensor with selectable cable lengths and a display device which can be mounted apart from the arrester.
- Protection of gas-insulated switchgear
- Protection of cables
- Protection of transformers
- Protection of hybrid switchgear
- Over 100 years of experience in overvoltage protection
- Local and global ABB application support
- Proven safe short-circuit current design
- Design life of more than 30 years
- Own production of metal-oxide (MO) resistors
- Compact design due to high-voltage gradient
- Excellent protection level with low residual voltage
- High energy absorption capability
Brief performance data
|ABB GIS product
|Class (acc.to IEC 60099-4)
|Maximum system voltage (Us), kV
|Continuous voltage through arrester (Uc), kV
|Rated voltage of arrester (Ur), kV
|Phases per enclosure
For more details see the data sheet in downloads below.