Master Thesis / Internship (m/f/d) Control Logic Generation using Smart Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams
Ladenburg, Baden-Württemberg, Deutschland
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader with a comprehensive offering for digital industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB is today a leader in digital industries with four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion, and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by its common ABB Ability™ digital platform. ABB’s market leading Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
Strong positions in research & development are a prerequisite for ABB's business success. Essential contributions grow out of the collaboration of ABB's research and operational organization. Our Corporate Research Center close to Heidelberg in Germany is one of seven ABB Corporate Research Centers worldwide.
You are interested in software technologies and want to apply them in a challenging and fascinating environment? Then join our international team of highly motivated researchers to develop the foundations for the next generation of ABB automation systems.
- ABB provides hardware and software for control systems used to operate a multitude of industrial facilities, e.g., factories, power plants, ships and mines. The required control software is written manually today, which is costly and error-prone. With the advancing digitalization, requirements for process plants become available in a standardized (XML) format (https://dexpi.org), which can be exploited for automatic control code generation.
- You will conceptualize and implement a method for automatically processing plant requirements and generating IEC 61131-3 textual and diagram-based control logic, which is the most popular programming language for programmable logic controllers. You will design mechanisms to infer control logic from Smart Piping & Instrumentation Diagrams and evaluate your approach and prototypical implementation on multiple industrial case studies. Your implementation will be integrated into an existing framework of engineering tools. You will work in close collaboration with our team and present your work and results.
- - You are a highly motivated student of computer science or a related field looking for a six-month master thesis.
- - You have experiences in object-oriented programming (e.g., C#, Java, C++, Python) and common IDEs (Visual Studio or Eclipse).
- - You are interested in learning engineering processes for industrial process plants and related technologies.
- - Experience in PLC programming, P&IDs, or CAD tools is considered a plus.
- - As a good communicator, you have sound English skills in speaking and writing.
More about us
With the approval of your university, you can complete your master’s degree by spending six months with us as you work on a practically focused thesis. You define the subject matter with us, with the support of the right contacts in various departments.
Interested? Then we look forward to receiving your informative application (cover letter, CV, certificate of enrolment, current transcript of grades and other supporting documents) through our online careers tool.
ABB Training Center GmbH & Co. KG
Eppelheimer Straße 82