Calgary, AB, Alberta, Canada
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
The Intermediate Electrical Engineer provides technical expertise for the ABB Electrification business and acts as a leader on electrical engineering and design - conceptual design, studies, detailed design, pre-commissioning and commissioning support, and any site visits or customer visits as required. This position will require ensuring the design complies to the Canadian standards (customers’ specifi-cations, Electrical code, and CSA requirements and any specific regulatory requirements). Registration as an P.Eng with APEGA is required. Registration with APEGBC is a plus.
- Lead Engineering projects technically and commercially, act as a Technical Project Manager for assigned projects.
- Depending on the project demand, the candidate should be willing to travel within Canada or outside Canada as required to support Customer meetings, Factory witness test, project meet-ings).
- Thorough understanding of Canadian electrical installations, Alberta and BC building codes, and Canadian Electrical Code. Follow the Canadian Electrical Code.
- Safety and Quality culture in mind and be able to follow ABB’s work practices
- Ability to support the front-end proposals/ sales activities- review RFQs, review vendor draw-ings, prepare and review building layouts, negotiate with suppliers, and support the business.
- Focus on project execution – FEED, detailed design, studies, cost estimates
- Engineer of record – stamp project drawings as required
- Skills in generating single line drawings, building layouts, wiring drawings, panel schedules, cable tray and grounding, power distribution and panel design, lighting, and equipment inter-connections.
- Knowledge of products and their operation – MCC, SWGR, VFD, Transformer, motors, UPS and battery chargers (LV/MV).
- QA/QC, turnover documentation, project close out, Document control support
- Ability to perform power system studies and any other associated studies
- Good understanding of Hazardous Area Classification
- Participate in Lunch & Learns, be a mentor for junior members. and
- Provide lunch & learns and guidance to junior team players
- Participating in QMS and HSE programs as required.
- Work closely with supply chain to provide savings
- Communication is key for this position. Individual should have excellent inter personal skills and ability to adopt to various working cultures
- Strong technical background and subject matter expert in electrical
- Understand Project Management requirements
- Act as a leader for the business and passion to grow and learn
- Registered with APEGA with 5+ engineering experience in Canada
- Alberta & BC project experience
- Strong experience and knowledge on electrical equipment (MCC, SWGR, Transformer..etc)
- Experience in preparing BOMs, calculations, Single Line drawings, Building layouts, equipment sizing.
- HVAC knowledge and understanding of HVAC system design
- Education & certification
- Professional Engineer certification (P.Eng.) with APEGA in good standing (this is a must)
- Professional Engineer certification (P.Eng.) with EGBC is an advantage (this is not a must)
- Engineering degree in Electrical Engineering
- Able to legally work in Canada
- Canada Driver’s license
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.