Transformer Repair Technician
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
- Preliminary inspect, Test and diagnose to determine condition electrically, mechanically, and the probable cause of failure or malfunction
- Detank- remove covers, manholes, lower oil etc., and lift core, coils and bushings out of tank
- Perform further preliminary test as required such as turns tests, capacitance, phase relationship etc.
- Perform all operations required to make the necessary repairs such as:
- Dismantle and strip down in proper sequence, prepare sketches and/ or drawings, connection diagrams and notes to identify part location, type of insulation, cable size, terminals etc.
- Wind coils
- Repair defective laminations or replace and restack
- Assemble coils on core, clamp pack and tighten
- Pile top end irons
- Make connections (braze, crimp, tig weld etc.) and apply insulation
- Dry out (apply heat in oven); perform intermediate tests such as power factor, capacitance, polarization index etc.
- Remove coil and core assembly from oven and submerge in oil
- Final check and tighten and retank
- Check and replace cable if required
- Gasket and bolt tight
- Raise oil pressure and test
- Perform finals tests such as turns ratio, polarity, phase displacement, hipot, inductance and core losses etc.
- Check operation of auxiliary equipment, motors, pumps, fans etc., and repair if necessary
- Touch up paint
- Skid and prepare for shipmen
- Performs all operations without supervision, directs the activities of lesser skilled employees and helpers as required
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Must have electrical theory and a good background knowledge of transformers.
- Be able to understand and use test equipment and instruments required to perform preliminary, intermediate and final tests.
- Must be able to read and understand electrical and mechanical drawings and connection diagrams
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.