Theoretical physicist / applied mathematician (80-100%)
Baden-Dättwil, Aargau, Switzerland
- Job type
- Flexible work practices
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
The theoretical and computational methods group at the Swiss ABB research center develops and improves theoretical models and numerical tools relevant to ABB products and technologies. We support and drive the development of ABB’s next-generation products and solutions.
We are looking for an outstanding physicist or mathematician to join our group, to strengthen our modelling capabilities especially in the fields of monitoring, diagnostics and prognostics.
This is a unique opportunity for someone with a desire to combine mathematical methods and physical understanding in order to drive new digital solutions in the field of electrical devices and systems. If you are passionate about science and technology and want to work in an inspiring environment where your skills are used to address important questions, then apply now.
- Perform research in the field of reliability, monitoring, prognostics, with particular emphasis on mathematical and physical modeling
- Apply advanced methods for model- and data-driven approaches in this field across the whole range of ABB products
- Work with and transfer knowledge to and from ABB business units and other partners from industry and academia
- Drive innovation and new product strategies
- Initiate and lead research projects
- Publish scientific articles and attend conferences
- Ph.D. in theoretical physics, mathematics, or closely related field; post-doctoral experience is an advantage
- Outstanding scientific track record
- Broad knowledge in mathematics and physics
- Demonstrated proficiency in statistics, optimization, and machine learning methods
- Experience with prognostics and health management is a plus
- Ability to quickly acquire knowledge in new scientific areas and to integrate innovative techniques into your workflow
- Fluency in English and willingness to learn German
- Communication skills and interest in lively interaction within interdisciplinary teams
- Curiosity, enthusiasm, and drive to enter new fields of research and technology
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Interested in joining our team? If so, we look forward to receiving your full application (motivation letter, CV, references) only via our online careers tool. A better world begins with you at www.abb.com/careers
ABB Switzerland Ltd.
Phone: +41 79 794 08 89
ABB Data Privacy Statement: