R&D Engineer - Mechanical
Jiangmen, Guangdong, China
- Job type
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Sick pay
- Meal allowance
- Medical insurance
Take the next step in your career at ABB, working in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
Our R&D engineers and scientists develop breakthrough technologies that change the way the world works, and industries do business. We constantly push the limits of convention, while retaining our focus on delivering solid returns for our customers and shareholders.
ABB Smart Power is a global technology leader, with solutions that make power supplies smart, connected and protected. Its intelligent solutions make power more competitive by improving the energy efficiency, productivity and reliability of almost any operation.
This is a R&D Engineer - Mechanical role reporting to the R&D Team Manager in the Business Area – Electrification, Smart Power located in Jiangmen, China. You will be responsible to contribute with own ideas to identify, propose and implement innovative technology development and solutions. Solve design problems independently.
- Demonstrating solid technical proficiency in own competence area by performing a variety of technology/engineering assignments, mainly in research and development (R&D) projects, which demonstrates independent ability to recognize problems and provide input to solutions. Actively following the scientific discussions in own competence area and contributing independently.
- Understanding the key business drivers for ABB in order to make judgments and contributing to results.Contributing to R&D projects with own, creative ideas. Proposing follow-up projects and activities within own technical area based on new ideas.
- As a solid R&D project member and contributor, with experience as project or sub-project leader, ensuring alignment with assigned targets (time, cost, quality) and coordinating activities. Demonstrating sound understanding of, and actively applies, R&D processes and tools.
- Maintaining awareness of state-of-art technology, as well as ABB products and technologies, and identifying and understanding technical drivers for R&D projects in own area. Understanding what creates customer value in own R&D projects and project portfolio of own organization and works to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction according to incoming requests. Providing consulting services to business operations and customers.
- Participating constructively in working teams. Sharing own technical/scientific knowledge in own projects and supports colleagues in applying processes and tools to ensure timely and high-quality results. Showing solid documentation skills and writing technical reports independently.
- Participating in networks in own area, including relevant Engineering networks, in order to further knowledge in targeted area of expertise.
- Having a basic understanding of the importance of IP for the ABB business, contributing to IP discussions and develops project clearance reports, identifying risks in R&D projects.
- Living ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- Must have BS in electronic/electrical engineering with min. 5 years’ experience or MSc in electronic/electrical engineering with minimum 2 years’ experience in R&D.
- Must be familiar with design validation procedure of new product.
- Must be familiar with the commonly used engineering materials: plastic and metallic and related manufacturing / processing.
- Knowledge on the relationship of standards and products, and drafting verification program according to standards would be a plus.
- Must be Proficient in CAD, e.g. AutoCAD, UG or Pro-E, and MS office.
- Knowledge on the simulations such as structure and thermal, etc. Ability to apply the simulations in the design would be a plus.
- Ability to read and express technical solutions in English a plus.
- Good communication and teamwork skills are necessary.
- Foreign enterprises R&D experience is preferred.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Harness the power of our diverse global network, as you continue to collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.