(Senior) Scientist (m/f/d) Control and Optimization of Electric Power Systems
Mannheim, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
We are looking to appoint a highly qualified (Senior) Scientist in the field of Power Systems. Joining a team of exceptional scientists, you will work on projects covering everything from research and development to application. This will involve coming up with new ideas, defining key problems, developing concepts, and overseeing implementation. Do your credentials include well-developed technical abilities together with strong communication skills? Are you capable of interacting with multiple stakeholders within a multicultural environment? This is your opportunity to apply your skills to an area of research that promotes and rewards creativity and innovation.
- Initiate, lead, and coordinate research projects for the control of power grids based on in-depth technical analysis and sound business considerations
- Drive research into innovative solutions for power systems used in an industrial environment, working closely with ABB Power Grids international business units and world-leading universities
- Translate scientific findings into compelling innovations centered around technologies for grid management and control
- Model and analyse electrical power systems, considering the full range of market constraints (e.g., Optimization of energy system, Energy Demand Management, Optimal Power Flow Analysis, Fault Analysis, Harmonics, Oscillations)
- Postgraduate university degree (PhD or MSc with relevant working experience) in computer science, mathematics, physics, or engineering with above-average performance
- Experience in minimum one of the following fields: mathematical optimization, robust model-predictive control, signal processing or machine learning
- Hands-on experience in developing efficient and reliable software; excellent programming skills (e.g., Python, C++, C#, Java, Julia, AMPL) and a strong grasp of object-oriented programming
- Proficiency in use of tools like Matlab/Simulink, Modelica, Dymola, DIgSILENT PowerFactory, GAMS is a plus
- Ability to translate theory into practice as well as strong communication and presentation skills
- Domain knowledge in power systems is a plus
- Fluent command of English, both written and spoken. Proficiency in German would be an advantage
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
ABB Power Grids Germany AG