Internship/Masterthesis (f/m/d) in the area „Smart Electrical Drives for Highly Dynamic Applications"
Ladenburg, Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
Looking for a taste of working life in an international, future-focused corporate group? Then complete an internship with us, or come to us to write your thesis. Both options are open for 3-6 months, depending on your course of study and subject to approval. ABB will provide you with wide-ranging, professional and expert support to help you complete your thesis. Expand your network now, and learn about our company as you undertake a practically focused thesis or internship.
- In your thesis or internship, you will support our research team in the development of next-generation electrical drives (motors, actuators and position sensors) for highly dynamic industrial applications.
- You will review the literature and apply your findings to real-world research problems.
- You will develop simulation models with different level of detail, ranging from high-fidelity, 3-D, electromagnetic finite-element analysis to system-level, equivalent-circuit-based approaches. If needed, you will plan and conduct tests in the laboratory to validate those models.
- You will have the freedom to apply your own ideas to optimize actual hardware solutions and/or simulation processes used in their design.
- You will document your work and present the key results to your team members.
- Fully matriculated student of electrical engineering or comparable course of studies.
- Good theoretical background of electromagnetics and electrical drives. Ideally, you know the working principle and key properties of different electrical motor/actuator topologies such as BLDC, SynRM, SRM; and/or you are familiar with different position sensing methods such as inductive or eddy current sensing.
- Experience in at least one of the following software packages, ideally within the scope of electromagnetics modeling: ANSYS, COMSOL, MATLAB/Simulink.
- Fluent command of English (written and oral).
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.