Protection Application Engineer
Warrington, Cheshire, United Kingdom
- Job type
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader with a comprehensive offering for digital industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB is today a leader in digital industries with four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion, and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by its common ABB Ability™ digital platform. ABB’s market leading Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
Joint responsibility, as part of the DA Application team, for Full Technical & application support of DA products for the UK market, directly to customers, via ABB business units and via the DA Sales & Marketing team.
- Job Role: Working together within the technical application team and closely with the UK Sales team but also with the Distribution Automation factory in ABB Vaasa, Finland:
- Offer full technical support for all of the ABB DA products (internal & external) with support from Vaasa where needed
- Assist and support the Sales team strategy & activities with application input and technical presentations where necessary
- Actively involved in external customer approval processes (such as ENA, Network Rail & DNO’s)
- Review tenders & enquiries so as to provide recommendations and solutions using ABB products
- Normally based at the Daresbury MV office during office hours but then generally expected to visit internal & external customers (or support the Sales team in visits)
- ABB People
- Be able to interface with the client and all disciplines whether internal or external companies, suppliers, designers and unitary bodies
- Have good communication skills
- Must be comfortable with making clear well evaluated decisions
- Must offer flexible working, with additional hours as & when required for travel & when projects require ensuring its successful completion
- ABB Organisation
- Strive for continuous acceptance & implementation of ABB products into standards & designs
- Location of customers will be UK wide and role will require travel and occasional overnight stays
- Regular communication with, and visits to, the Overseas Centre of excellence in Vaasa for training & support
- In order to support other ABB LBU’s, overseas travel to other factories may be required
- Strengthen customer relationships through presentations, visits and support by telephone / e-mail correspondence
- Work closely with the overseas business units and lead centers of excellence to co-ordinate and achieve success
- Ensure appropriate organisational responsiveness to customer queries / requests and after sales support, as may be required
- Essential (a combination of the following):
- Electrical Engineer with a minimum of a Bachelor Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering
- Experience in the application of Power System Protection
- Experience of programming numerical protection relays & completing grading studies
- Good base knowledge & appreciation of IEC61850 systems
- Experienced in working in both office and customer facing roles
- A full team player with ability to work within a multi-national, multi-cultural team
- Understanding of the UK DNO, Industrial & Energy market standards
Add the jobs you want to consider to your shortlist and review later.
Please note that your shortlist is saved locally and will be available only on the same device.
Send the shortlisted jobs to your e-mail.
Your shortlist was successfully sent.
Something went wrong.
Please enter a valid e-mail address.