Country Communications Director - UK & IE
Stone, Staffordshire, United Kingdom
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
An experienced executive ‘C’ level manager who can deliver a coherent country communications strategy in line with ABB Power Grids strategy guidelines and brand positioning. Take responsibility for excellence in all communications measures within the framework of an approved budget.
As the Country Communication Manager, you will be responsible for proactive engagement with national businesses and stakeholders. You will drive ABB Power Grids brand reputation by ensuring that the brand identity is positioned strategically consistently and in a timely manner in all relevant channels. The person in this role will be responsible for elevating the image and reputation of the Power Grids business with compelling content and storytelling that resonates with key internal and external audiences: employees, future employees, students, business and financial media, community leaders, and customer ‘C’ level functions, while aligning with corporate global messages. You will be the lead in building the channel strategy and executing it by building consistent and measurable campaigns. Your activity will be national/local, your mindset should be global.
- External Communications: Plans, develops, executes an integrated communication plan to advance the power grid brand identity in the country that aligns with ABB’s strategy and messaging all external communications. Broaden awareness of the ABB Power Grids Business’ market leadership, and increase the visibility of its products and services across key stakeholder audiences. Monitor the communication activities and strategies of competitors and stakeholders.
- Internal Communications: Provides tools and supports local management on employee communication, presentations, events etc.
- Media and Public Affairs: Takes responsibility for all media relations and public affairs within assigned area.
- Brand Identity: Safeguards brand identity, corporate design and regulatory compliance in all communications, both internal and external.
- Finance and Budget: Applies rigorous control to communications budget, ensures transparency and maximizes effectiveness and efficiency, including managing communications agencies.
- Issue and Crisis Management: Plan, support, prepare and manage responses to positive and negative inquiries from externals sources – includes crisis and issue-related communication escalations and responses.
- Knowledge Exchange: Plays an active role as a member of the Region Communications team, enhancing and contributing to communication flow within the Region. Shares knowledge and leverages best practices from across the organisation
- People Leadership and Development: Support key leaders in the country with thought leadership content, communication guidance and engagement opportunities (develop social media ambassadors); ensure key leaders receive media and crisis communications training. Work with the global team to create and manage announcements and campaigns; ensure global messages are localised.
- Strategic Planning: Proven ability to lead and plan complex activities including but not limited to synthesising market/product data from multiple businesses and developing compelling stories that support the company’s key messages and strategy. Measure the results of each campaign and share key learning and reports with the wider community.
- Stakeholder Engagement: Work closely with stakeholders to identify and develop compelling stories, including by text, pictures or video and/or finding other means of reaching the target groups. Proactive engagement with national, business and stakeholders.
- Editorial service, including the writing and editing of communication messages, both general and technical, by text, infographics, picture, podcast or video.
- Ensure consistent content and messaging for thought leadership positioning and an expert in storytelling.
- Personally social media savvy.
- Building and maintain relations with legacy and new media.
- Act as a center of competence in the group: being able to help to raise the competence level in the group.
- Train and coach spokespeople.
- Measurement and analytics are key – you need to develop relevant dashboards and campaign trackers.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in ‘C’ level in business and financial media and content interactions, ideally with an interest in technology and innovation
- Cross functional communication skills with focus on editorial (media, investors, branding, editorial, web, internal, etc.)
- Industry/customer understanding and financial understanding
- International experience – cross cultural
- English, other languages are an advantage
- Nice to have:
- Business knowledge or at least industrial technology/capital equipment sectors
- Understanding of digital communications channels and the power of social media
- Exceptional writing/editing and oral communication skills
- Solid experience to deal with media request, both generalist as well as trades
- Proven track record in building strong thought leadership programs
- Proven experience to analyze and develop relevant metrics in dealing with different stakeholders
- Strong networking ability and multi-cultural credentials
- Direct work experience with senior management
More about us
It is an exciting time to join ABB Power Grids. ABB and Hitachi have signed an agreement to create a joint venture (JV). By combining ABB Power Grids’ with Hitachi’s complementary strengths, we plan to form a new and stronger global leader in the power sector. ABB Power Grids and Hitachi will have more than 230 years of combined heritage and experience. Together, we will be well-positioned to shape the future of energy, with pioneering technologies, as the partner of choice for enabling a stronger, smarter and greener grid. The transaction is expected to be completed by the first half of 2020, subject to regulatory approvals. Join us on this exciting journey