Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
This purpose of this role is to write controls software for and commission of robotic material handling systems on our customers sites. Responsibilities in this role are to ensure the efficient and cost-effective completion of commissioning activities, in accordance with contract specifications, quality standards, and safety requirements.
The UK team are based out of our Milton Keynes office, however this position will be site based when required (up to 80% of time) at customer locations across Europe and the Nordics. The desire and ability to travel and work away for extended periods is a key requirement of the role through the commissioning, site acceptance and handover phases of projects.
On small systems you will be directly responsible for the installation and debugging of controls hardware and software, but additionally on larger systems you will also be required to lead, coordinate and direct a team of subcontractors to achieve the same.
During gaps between site activates you may be required to contribute to the continuous improvement of software, documentation and procedures.
- Contributes to planning and implementation of commissioning activities. Supports and coordinates the installation activities with the Installation Supervisor / Site Manager. Implements commissioning design changes and provides mark-ups for as-built project documentation.
- Supports continuous improvement of project process/product/system design.
- Participates in internal project review meetings and provides inputs on commissioning activities.
- Assists in creating proposals for engineering projects or programs (provision of bills of materials and estimated engineering hours, etc.
- Supports Contract Managers in issuing claims (new scope of work, cost impact, time impact, risk quantifications etc.).
- Creates work plans and cost estimates for work in one’s area of responsibility.
- Conducts risk and opportunity assessments during commissioning phase to ensure implementation of commissioning plan, identifies and reports potential risks related to contract/quality/program/cost and recommends resolutions to management.
- Initiates and monitors risk mitigation plan in one’s area of responsibility and ensures stakeholders are updated on associated technical risks.
- Conducts Safety Observation tour regularly to report and mitigate potential HSE hazards.
- Coordinates site activities focused on finalizing customer acceptance
- Certification. Identifies and recommends new effective solutions to meet business and customer needs.
- Provides relevant information pertaining to commissioning assignments and meetings with customer.
- Manages external organizations to ensure availability of commissioning equipment, systems or services.
- Provides relevant information pertaining to commissioning assignments and meetings with contractors/colleagues. Gives feedbacks to the organization to apply lessons learned process.
- Uses standard processes to ensure all commissioning activities comply with required safety regulations and contractual requirements. Applies and improves processes and tools in one’s technical area to ensure effective project delivery.
- Guides Associate Commissioning Engineers and coordinates work with entry level engineers, technicians, or administrative staff May manage small project teams.
- Essential: Allen Bradley control logics programming
- Siemens TIA portal programming;
- Knowledge of Allen Bradley and Siemens HMIs;
- Ability to understand electric schematics;
- Ability to prepare and complete work to clear; commissioning procedures;
- Ability to prepare and complete clear testing documentation;
- Open to learn new PLC and HMI programming languages.
- Desirable: PackML programming standard;
- Functional safety of machinery;
- ABB Robotics;
- Material handling systems experience.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.