Project Engineer - HVDC Valve Electrical
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB is a global technology leader in industrial digitalization. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees and $34 billion revenue.
In India, ABB has been operating for over a century. At present, we have 40 factories at 9 locations that develop best-in-class products bringing together global expertise, with local experience. India is also home to ABB group’s largest engineering design and R&D center, where our engineers work on cutting-edge technologies to develop the future offerings from engineering tools to analytics solutions.
The India Power Grids Operations Center (INOPC) is a competence center with around 900 skilled engineers who focus on tendering, engineering, planning, procurement, functional system testing, installation supervision and commissioning. However, over the last decade, it has evolved to become the largest engineering hub within PG Business and HVDC and FACTS engineering center outside ABB Sweden. The India Operations Centre is a key aspect of the Power Grids business Power Up transformation program. The INOPC team at Chennai supports ABB units in more than 25 countries across a wide portfolio of all the four business units in Power Grid business. To date, the team has executed engineering and commissioning for projects in more than 60 countries.
- Electrical design of semiconductor based solutions for AC and DC used in our HVDC transmissions.
- Coordinate the work within calculations of HVDC and SVC valves, including voltage design, as well as loss and thermal calculations.
- Joining our unit, also responsible for specifying testing’s and ensuring execution is according to current standards and customer specifications.
- Designing of power converters used in applications like HVDC/FACTS/Power Quality etc.
- Understanding application of power electronics in HV/EHV system.
- Understanding and design of electrical power systems.
- Living ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- Bachelor of Engineering ( Electrical / Power electronics) or Master of Engineering ( Electrical/Power System/Power Electronics) or related discipline.
- 2-5 Years of relevant experience in Power System.
- Knowledge on HVDC System design and studies.
- Knowledge on IEC/IEEE standards is preferable.
- Extensive knowledge of Power System equipment and their purpose. Example, Thyristor & IGBTs valves, Power Transformers, Capacitors, Reactors, Instrument Transformer and measuring equipment, Circuit Breakers, Disconnector, Surge Arrester etc.
- Preferably experience of power system calculation tools such as MatCAD, MatLAB and simulations in EMTDC / PSCAD.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.