Research Scientist - Mechanical Engineering
Västerås, Vaestmanland County, Sweden
- Job type
Take the next step in your career at ABB, working in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
You will be part of the Robotics team at ABB Research in Västerås Sweden. In our role as ABB Research, we ensure ABB's technology competitiveness now and in future. In the Robotics team we focus on mechatronics concepts & design and robot intelligence in industrial as well as service robot segments. The research activities usually formulated as technology pre-study and technology development. We work closely with ABB's robotics business at one side to ensure our research will bring unique value for ABB business. At another side, we have close collaboration with academic world to bridge the academic and industrial research. In this team, one of our historical highlights is the creation and development of the dual arm YuMi robot concept and the mobile YuMi concept.
When you take interest in mechatronics concepts & design, robotics and appreciate the possibility to work in an international working environment, then this a great job opening for you and perfect chance to join a truly unique journey ahead.
- As part of the team, it will be your task to shape a vision for tomorrow's ultra-flexible mobile robotic and manipulation systems with emphasis on mobile robot platform design and tuning mainly from mechanics and mechatronics aspects.
- Develop and test mobile robot platform for its key components such like drive-train, braking mechanism, platform structural part, docking mechanism, etc.
- You will come up with the design of one or a few above said components, to apply design changes during design iteration with other mechatronics experts and electrical experts, and to follow up with suppliers and purchase, eventually, to assemble the mobile robot platform with necessary tuning.
- Live ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- A M.Sc. in one of the following topics: robotics, mechanics and mechatronics.
- Experience with mechanical design will be a merit.
- Familiarity with key mechanical and mechatronics components of either industrial or mobile robot is an advantage.
- You enjoy driving specific activities to successful conclusion while following a visionary continuity in your work.
- To succeed in this position, you should be capable of working both independently and in a team.
- You will be working in an international environment therefore it is required that you have good skills in English language.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Recruiting Manager, LiWei Qi, +46 21 32 32 87, will answer your questions about the position. Union representatives Ledarna: Lenny Larsson +4621-32 85 47, Sveriges Ingenjörer Pia Hill: +4621-34 47 51, Unionen: Roger L. Gustavsson, +46 21 32 90 97 . All other questions can be directed to Talent Partner Marcus Thunberg, +46 722 05 08 92.
This role is varied, challenging and rewarding. Welcome to apply before October 19, 2020. Selection process will be handled continuously. We look forward to receiving your application!