Thesis Work - Design Automation of Active Parts for Electric Motors
Västerås, Vaestmanland County, Sweden
- Job type
- Diploma work
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB design and produce traction motors that allows us to build the perfect solution for train operators – regardless of train type, power range or geographical location. Furthermore, the portfolio covers traction motors for off-road vehicles in the e-mobility segment. Each motor is tailor-made to customer requirements and to the operation conditions of each vehicle that it powers; enabling superior efficiency, lowest energy consumption and high reliability.
A traction motor is developed trough an engineer to order process, considering number of design rules, standards and customer requirements. The active parts, stator and rotor, of an electric motor are most critical for the performance to convert electric energy to mechanical power. Design automation to create 2D drawings and 3D documentation of the active parts is considered to enable reduction of mechanical engineering hours in the projects as well increasing the quality of the product. We want to evaluate what would be the best processes and tools considering the design interfaces between electrical designer and mechanical designer, CAD/PDM software, design rules, standards and customer requirements for the product. Your task would be to map our present design process and explore options for the future.
Due to the technical content of the thesis work, it may be classified as confidential.
• The thesis work will start during first quarter of 2021.
• Thesis work is offered for one person at 30 ECTS, or alternatively two persons at 15 ECTS each.
• Our Europe based office and production site are in Västerås, Sweden. It will be required to some extent be on site for understanding the process and the products. Thesis work can partially be done on site and at university.
- Evaluate present state of design process and tools.
- Map the market and industry of available methods and tools.
- Map the design input from different stakeholders, e.g. internal design rules, standards and customer requirements.
- Establish a vision for the future - were to go and how. Including where and how to consider internal design rules, standards and customer requirements.
- Live ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- You are studying a university master or bachelor program.
- You have an orientation of design engineering (mechanical) or software development.
- You are interested in what the future can provide and challenged by pushing for changes.
- You take a strong interest in software, design processes and handling requirements.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Recruiting Manager Daniel Andersson, +46 722 42 80 70, will answer your questions about the position. Union representatives - Sveriges Ingenjörer: Camilla Sköldmark, +4621-32 94 97; Unionen: Mikael Fallgren, +4621-32 96 84.
Positions are filled continuously. Apply with your CV, academic transcripts and a cover letter in English.
Welcome to apply!