Senior Research Scientist - Robot Design
Västerås, Vaestmanland County, Sweden
- Job type
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
You will be part of the Robotics team at ABB Research in Västerås Sweden. In our role as ABB Research, we ensure ABB's technology competitiveness now and in future.
In the Robotics team we focus on mechatronics concepts, design and robot intelligence in both industrial and service robot segments. The research activities are usually formulated as technology pre-study and technology development projects. We work closely with ABB's Robotics business to ensure our research will bring unique value for ABB. At the same time, we have close collaboration with academic world to bridge the academic and industrial research. In this team, one of our historical highlights is the creation and development of the dual-arm YuMi robot concept and the mobile YuMi concept.
This role reports to Research Team Manager.
- As a part of the team, your major focus is to develop new robot and mechanical system concepts and prototypes.
- You will work with robot and mechanical system designing, calculating, simulation and analysis, testing, concepts verification and validation.
- Based on stakeholders requirements, you will first scout the technology state-of-art, then based on findings, come up with new robot / mechanical system concepts, develop the concepts as technology demonstrators or prototypes based on ABB's design tool chains.
- You will follow up purchasing, testing at component / system levels, and necessary verification / validation both internally and externally, and finally document the results as different technical reports.
- In the context of the work, you are required to independently explore the whole chain as stated in above, while you also need to collaborate closely within / across teams both inside the research organization, and with stakeholders, result receivers in ABB business side.
- You will work closely with suppliers and selected customers for pilot cases.
- MS or PhD degree in Robotics and/or Mechanical Engineering
- 10+ years mechanical system design and calculation experience with 5+ years robot system development experience
- Experience with different types of robot design, drive-train dimensioning, load calculation, structural analysis and simulation is a merit
- Familiarity with ABB robot products, including major structures and components, as well as key design process and tool chains will be an advantage
- Experience with both product and technology development will be a plus
- You enjoy driving specific activities to successful conclusion while following a visionary continuity in your work
- You are capable of working both independently and in a team
- As you will be working in an international environment, it’s required that you have good communication skills in English
More about us
Recruiting Manager Liwei Qi, +4621-32 32 87, will answer your questions about the position. Union representatives - Sveriges Ingenjörer: Mikael Blomqvist, +4621-34 21 48; Ledarna: Lenny Larsson, +4621-32 85 47; Unionen: Ing-Marie B Lindgren-Turpeinen, +4621-32 95 83. All other questions can be directed to Talent Partner Anna Nordlund, +46 761-42 01 39.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until May 1.
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.