Corporate Research Intern - Electrical Machines
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- Job type
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing more than a 125-year history of innovation, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization and driving the Energy and Fourth Industrial Revolutions. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 132,000 employees www.abb.com
Are you ready to work with a purpose? At ABB, you can be sure you’re helping to create a better world. Together, we can touch the lives of millions by creating sustainable power plants in remote corners of the world or improving safety for workers in auto plants.
ABB US Corporate Research Center seeks an intern to work at the US Corporate Research in Raleigh, NC in the area of electrical machines, motor control, and power electronics. The internship is expected to last about 6 months. The targeted research area includes the design, analysis, prototyping, and testing of electromagnetic, electromechanical, and electrical circuits and systems.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Literature search and review
• Technology scouting studies
• Board layout and DSP Programming
• Develop solution ideas with given objective and constraints
• Support findings with detailed analysis and simulations
• Implement and test hardware and software motor and drive prototypes to evaluate effectiveness of proposed method in a laboratory environment
• Assist full time researchers with research projects
• Currently enrolled in a post-graduate degree program at an accredited U.S. based University (to include May 2017 graduates)
• Pursuing degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, or physics.
• Currently enrolled in a PhD program
• General expertise, experience, education, and/or course knowledge in the areas of power electronics, electromagnetics, and/or electric machines
• Proficiency in software applications including Microsoft Office and finite element engineering applications
• Candidates should also be effective communicators, creative, and looking for a challenging opportunity to apply and develop their research skills towards solving a practical problem during a relatively short period of time.
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.