South Boston, Virginia, USA
- Job type
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resources to finished products. As title partner of Formula E, the fully electric international FIA motorsport class, ABB is pushing the boundaries of e-mobility to contribute to a sustainable future. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 135,000 employees. www.abb.com
ABB is seeking a Proposal Engineer for the Transformer Remanufacturing and Engineering Services (TRES) Line for Business. The Proposal Engineer is responsible for responding to market demand for proposal development through interpretation of RFQs/RFIs. PEs are involved in efforts related to marketing, business development, relationship management, sales and customer service of ABB’s transformer service business. Responsibilities involve positioning ABB to maintain and grow market share of service related to power transformers. The TRES product portfolio consists of offerings involving Engineering, Field Services, Spare Parts and factory Repair and Remanufacturing.
Typical duties/responsibilities for marketing may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Management of incoming RFQ / RFI for transformer service needs in the US
• Review and analyze customer service specifications. Coordinating input from various departments, including, but not limited to; operations (project management), finance and legal to develop proposals respective of customer requirements.
• Competitive proposal development supporting ABB’s service portfolio with regard to scope of work, timeline and pricing
• Proposal development in line with business unit strategy and geographic/regional objectives
• Review and edit legal terms and conditions of contract relationship with ABB legal counsel
• Support formal risk reviews on opportunities requiring such based on potential risk exposure to ABB
• Engage in proposal and contract negotiations as needed
• Manage receipt, review, acceptance and entry of service purchase orders
• Engage in contract hand-off to operations and project management
• Documentation management for all proposals and orders
• Effective pipeline management and coordination of sales and marketing efforts with Business Development team
• Supports identification of strategic sales planning through identification of targeted opportunities and customers for growth
• Facilitate communication between customers, ABB Front End Sales and technical support within the business unit to meet customer expectations
• Develop and maintain relationships with ABB Front End Sales organization including Independent Rep organizations, to educate, support and maximize service sales
• Providing technical counsel and presentations on service portfolio to internal and external audiences
• Support marketing material development for service portfolio as needed
• Visit customers as required
• Tradeshow support as needed
• Maintain competitive intelligence respective of, but not limited to, account assignment
• Bachelor's degree and 8 years of experience in Proposal Development; Engineering or Sales & Marketing experience; OR
• Master's degree and 6 years of experience in Proposal Development; Engineering or Sales & Marketing experience
Ideally this role could be filled at a more senior level should the candidate meet the following qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree and 12 years in Proposal Development; Engineering or Sales & Marketing experience; OR
• Master's degree and 9 years experience in Proposal Development; Engineering or Sales & Marketing experience
• Knowledge of transformers, transformer products and their applications
• Marketing and sales experience. Experience in service sales a plus
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Strong interpersonal skills
• Time management. Ability to manage complex and varied priorities
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.