Electrical Engineer / Senior Electrical Engineer
Richmond, Virginia, USA
- Job type
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in electrification products, robotics and motion, industrial automation and power grids, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing more than a 125-year history of innovation, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization and driving the Energy and Fourth Industrial Revolutions. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 136,000 employees www.abb.com
ABB Inc., in Richmond, VA is seeking an Electrical Engineer or Senior Electrical Engineer to join our Drives and Controls Business Unit, a part of our Robotics and Motion Division. With our competence center "Traction", we have a leading position in the development, manufacturing and sale of drive converters for locomotives, high speed trains, trams, metros and regional trains as well as of static converters for rail vehicles. To strengthen this motivated team, we are looking for an experienced and dedicated Electrical Engineer with high interest in railway engineering, power electronics and control technology.
As an Electrical Engineer or Senior Electrical Engineer you will participate in the planning, development, production, and testing activities involving electrical/electronic components and systems for railway power systems. This involves general power electronics support for traction package projects for rolling stock.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Provide general power electronics support for traction package projects for rolling stock
• Support production efforts to quickly and effectively solve problems and maintain schedule
• Prepare and maintain schematics and wiring lists for traction converter products
• Perform sustaining engineering work for implementing designs into production
• Monitor progress, comply with quality and schedule requirements, and maintain detailed logs and records
• Suggest and implement cost reductions and improvements to existing designs
• Perform basic engineering assignments associated with electrical development and testing
• Create test plans, oversee testing efforts, and perform electrical tests as needed
• Use computer programs to perform various engineering design and operations, conduct analyses and provide related data and information
• Become familiar with specific aspects of Traction Engineering, including:
- Fire, Smoke, and Toxicity requirements
- Insulation coordination
- NFPA 130 standards
- AAR-RP standards
• Bachelor's Degree in Engineering
• Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US
*Alternatively, this position may be hired at a senior-level*
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering AND 2+ years of maintenance, engineering, or design experience
• Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering and 2 years of electrical engineering experience
• Detailed design of power electronics and power conversion products
• Involvement in structured engineering development projects
• Experience managing projects, both individually and with a team
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to travel in US and Internationally (Valid passport will be required
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Add the jobs you want to consider to your shortlist and review later.
Please note that your shortlist is saved locally and will be available only on the same device.
Send the shortlisted jobs to your e-mail.
Your shortlist was successfully sent.
Something went wrong.
Please enter a valid e-mail address.