Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- Job type
- Retirement plan
- Medical insurance
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing program
- Disability insurance
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in power grids, electrification products, industrial automation and robotics and motion, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resources to finished products. As title partner in ABB Formula E, the fully electric international FIA motorsport class, ABB is pushing the boundaries of e-mobility to contribute to a sustainable future. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
ABB Inc. seeks an experienced Site Manager to lead the construction phase of our Substation projects in North America. ABB is a global market leader in Substation technologies, which secures power supply and connects conventional and renewable power with minimal environmental impact. The North America headquarters is based in Raleigh, North Carolina.
The Site Manager (SM) is located at customer project sites throughout the construction and installation phase of the project. During projects, the Site Manger reports organizationally to the Manager, Field Operations, who provides general direction and support, and functionally to the Project Manager (PM), who will provide project-specific direction. The SM has the lead role for ABB at the construction site.
- You’ll work as part of our Power Grids team, which serves utility, industrial, and commercial customers with products and services to help distribute electricity efficiently and reliably, maintain power quality, and control and manage electrical networks.
- Typical duties/responsibilities for sales may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- • Leadership – Responsible for establishing and maintaining a site culture in which all participants understand and support the expectations for the project and cooperate to achieve its success. This requires effectively communicating expected outcomes, standards for work and behavior and providing corrective direction when departures from those expectations occur.
- • Management – Responsible for managing project construction including Schedule Management – Managing productivity and other relevant factors to ensure that construction is executed and completed within the bounds of the project.
- • Cost Management – Managing construction costs within project budget and profit margins.
- • Quality Management – Managing adherence of construction products to drawings, specifications, standards and quality requirements.
- • Environmental, Health & Safety Management – Promoting a safety culture; Managing for safe practices to ensure safety of personnel on site and meeting all health, safety and environmental requirements of ABB, the customer and regulatory agencies
- • Contract Execution Management – Knowing all the project contracts and terms, and managing construction execution to adhere to contracts with customers and subcontractors
- • Materials Management – Managing equipment, materials and components delivered to the site so that they are properly received, handled and stored, and properly accounted for.
- • Subcontractor Management – Managing subcontractors so their performance meets requirements of behavior, quality, and schedule of work, productivity and cooperation.
- • Risk Management – Identifying, anticipating and managing problems, such as lack or delay of information or materials, errors on drawings, insufficient resources, inclement weather, unexpected issues and events and other problems that threaten the success of the project.
- •Technical Expertise – On-site resource for technical expertise for the project including:
- • Information – Ensure subcontractors are provided up-to-date drawings, standards, specifications, documentation and other information necessary for successful execution.
- • Consultation – Interpret documentation, contracts, requirements and other information to ensure subcontractors correctly understand the project’s requirements and build to them.
- • Analysis and Action – Analyze and make effective recommendations and decisions on the resolution of constructability issues, errors on drawings, omissions, and general problems.
- • Lessons Learned – Formulate and execute improvements over existing methods, processes, procedures, standards and other work functions that will improve cost, schedule and other performance measures and document them for future projects.
- • Liaison & Communication – Responsible for informing the PM and other members of the project team of status, progress, situations/developments and risks and opportunities with potential impact on the project’s success.
- • The SM serves as ABB’s representative to our customer, subcontractors and regulatory inspectors, and the local community. Professionalism and credible presence on site are needed to establish effective relationships with customer and provide timely and accurate information and responses to inquiries and comments.
- • Typical duties performed while on site would be:
- • Establishing and organizing the field office, arranging for necessary infrastructure, planning and organizing the construction effort, orienting subcontractors to the project, and communicating
- expectations to them.
- • Reading, understanding and enforcing contract provisions that apply to construction
- • Controlling construction documentation received at site
- • Ensuring daily briefings of all site personnel are conducted per ABB safety policy and OSHA requirements.
- • Directing work of subcontractors, making certain they have the information and material needed to perform work and helping them solve problems and overcome obstacles
- • Writing, submitting and maintaining various reports, logs schedules and other as required.
- • Making frequent inspections and observations throughout the day and documenting pertinent information.
- • Planning scheduling and leading on-site weekly progress meetings, and participating in other meetings as required
- • Documenting receipts of materials and services, matching them to purchase orders, writing and submitting reports on their receipt, generating variance reports, documentation of deficits or damage, and maintaining accurate and up-to-date records.
- • Reviewing documented time and materials associated with change orders or authorizations for extra work,
- • Verifying accuracy and adherence to contracts and orders, and making recommendations to the PM regarding their approval.
- • Coordinating with vendors, suppliers and shippers, the ABB Logistics Group, and US Customs to track, schedule, and expedite delivery of materials, components and services.
- Basic Qualifications:
- • Bachelor's degree and 8+ years of experience working within the electrical construction field; OR Associate's degree and 10+ years of experience working within the electrical construction field; OR High School Diploma/GED and trade training (Journeyman, Foreman) experience with 12+ years’ experience working within the electrical construction field.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- • Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Construction Management.
- • Must know and understand safety procedures for working in energized, high voltage substations.
- • Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office software, especially Word and Excel; able to use Outlook e-mail software, ECM, and other ABB communications and information management tools; able to prepare neat and readable reports, spreadsheets and other documents.
- • Required Licenses and Certifications – The incumbent must hold a valid and current vehicle operator’s permit, and an OSHA 30 training completion certificate or card.
- • Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the United States.
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.