Westerville, Ohio, USA
- Job type
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in power grids, electrification products, industrial automation and robotics and motion, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resources to finished products. As title partner in ABB Formula E, the fully electric international FIA motorsport class, ABB is pushing the boundaries of e-mobility to contribute to a sustainable future. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader that is driving the digital transformation of industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB has four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion, and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by the ABB Ability™ digital platform. ABB’s Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
ABB is seeking a Project Manager for it's Westerville, OH location.. The Project Manager with the support of project team is responsible for successful execution/delivery of assigned projects on-time, within budget, as per Contract Agreement, with on- quality & safety framework of ABB. Focus on Paper, Cement and Metals Industry projects.
- Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Project Planning and Scheduling:
- Plans, monitors and controls project activities, proactively to maximize cash flow.
- Understands critical path scheduling and assures a minimum but sufficient project float.
- Actively strives to optimize overall resource planning and utilization considering resources within the local organization.
- Assures a valid Project Safety plan is in place as needed.
- Considers close out activities and influences for an early close out.
- Identifies and shares lessons learned.
- Customer Satisfaction Management in Projects:
- Assures ABB commitments to Customer are met, in accordance with contract.
- Assures and seeks to improve Customer satisfaction and feedback through consistent Customer interaction, e.g. Communication, (phone, e-mail, etc.) and Customer meetings, kick off, review, etc.
- Works proactively to set Customer expectation to assure a smooth project including acceptance of project deliveries and timely payment even under challenging circumstances.
- Encourages openness & respect, and build trust, confidence & loyalty with Customers and partners.
- Promotes healthy work-life balance within the project team.
- Project Financial and Cost Management:
- Understands and use Full Cost Calculation/Model and different revenue recognition methods.
- Understands project exposure
- Controls project cost and cash flow
- Influences project expenditures to maximize cash flow.
- Legal and Contract Management for Projects:
- Understands ABB’s standard terms and conditions and the impact upon the contract of differing and/or additionally accepted terms and conditions.
- Understands project specific accepted terms and conditions and their application to project contracts, including awareness of risks of negative impact on margin, performance and risk factors.
- Utilizes contract terms and conditions to maximize cash-flow, margin and to limit liabilities, e.g. through insurance.
- Project Reporting:
- Forthrightly presents an account of project status/issues in project reviews.
- Reports status/ progress to customer and other stake holders with appropriate detail for desired understanding, e.g. to assure payment, set expectation, etc.
- Raises potential project issues to relevant stake holders.
- Effectively reports project progress or other situations either verbally or in writing to assure desired understanding.
- Scope and Change Management for Projects:
- Utilizes negotiation skills for scope and change management.
- Is on top of scope including the possible overall impact of what may seem to be minor changes
- Negotiates change orders and additional sales.
- Actively pursues desired changes in order to obtain additional sales, increase margin and to lower risk exposure.
- Project Risk and Opportunity Management:
- Understands risks as well as what may be causing a change in risk exposure and actions to avoid/mitigate.
- Understands opportunities and how to take advantage of them.
- Identifies and mitigates risks associated with important aspects such as Health and Safety.
- Proactively pursues decided upon mitigation efforts for identified risks.
- Identifies and act upon new risks and opportunities as they occur.
- Assures avoidance/mitigation of liquidated damages and other penalties/claims.
- Procurement Management for Projects:
- Work actively with a number of suppliers to obtain overall best possible purchase, in cooperation with the supply management function.
- Coordinates/directs project transportation and logistics.
- Reviews status of critical suppliers’ progress and include in overall schedule.
- Initiates 3rd party inspections as required.
- Ensures the proper application of ABB’s supplier qualification process.
- People related skills:
- Upholds ethics and values; Demonstrates integrity; Promotes and defends equal opportunities, builds diverse teams; Encourages organizational and individual responsibility towards the community and the environment
- Demonstrates an interest in and understanding of others; Adapts to the team and builds team spirit; Recognizes and rewards the contribution of others; Listens, consults others and communicates proactively; Supports and cares for others; Develops and openly communicates self-insight
- Provides others with a clear direction; Sets appropriate standards of behavior; Delegates work appropriately and fairly; Motivates and empowers others; Provides staff with development opportunities and coaching; Recruits staff of a high caliber
- Establishes good relationships with customers and staff; Builds wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organization; Relates well to people at all levels; Uses humor appropriately to enhance relationships with others
- Makes a strong personal impression on others; Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating; Promotes ideas on behalf of self or others; Manages conflict; Makes effective use of political processes to influence and persuade others
- Information related skills:
- • Analyses numerical data, verbal data and all other sources of information; Breaks information into component parts, patterns and relationships; Probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; Makes rational judgements from the available information and analysis; Produces workable solutions to a range of problems; Demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be a part of a much larger system
- • Speaks clearly and fluently; Expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; Makes presentations and undertakes public speaking with skill and confidence; Responds quickly to the needs of an audience and to their reactions and feedback; Projects credibility
- • Writes clearly, succinctly and correctly; Writes convincingly in an engaging and expressive manner; Avoids the unnecessary use of jargon or complicated language; Writes in a well-structured and logical way; Structures information to meet the needs and understanding of the intended audience
- Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelors' degree and 8 years' project management experience
- *A Master’s Degree in required field = Credit given for 2 years of work experience.
- *A PhD/Doctorate in required field = Credit given for 3 years of work experience.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in engineering with domain experience in ABB business.
- 5 + years' of experience in managing projects or equivalent in paper, cement, metals industries.
- Industry technical knowledge in process control/automation, instrumentation, electrification, drives.
- Experience with Projects of different size, complexity and contractual types.
- PMP® certification from Project Management Institute or IPMA Level C/D certification
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.