Sales Application Engineer, Power Delivery
Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
- Job type
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a pioneering technology leader in power grids, electrification products, industrial automation and robotics and motion, serving customers in utilities, industry and transport & infrastructure globally. Continuing a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB today is writing the future of industrial digitalization with two clear value propositions: bringing electricity from any power plant to any plug and automating industries from natural resources to finished products. As title partner in ABB Formula E, the fully electric international FIA motorsport class, ABB is pushing the boundaries of e-mobility to contribute to a sustainable future. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
Industrial Solutions empowers smarter business operations by connecting equipment, software, and services to protect, control, and optimize assets within electrical infrastructures. Across multiple energy-intensive industries, the business provides customers with end-to-end product and service solutions that help ensure the reliability and protection of their electrical infrastructure. The Sales Application Engineer for ABB will provide technical support to the Regional Commercial team in the development of field services proposals for power delivery, power utilization and automation equipment and systems. In this role you will identify and propose value-added service solutions to a broad range of Industrial customers including Power Distribution upgrades, Relay upgrades, and Arc Flash Mitigation Solutions. In this fast paced, customer facing role, you will require strong field service technical skills and highly effective communication skills. The focus of the role is to provide the technical leadership for the Mid-South (SC, NC, and VA) district commercial team.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Identify and develop new business opportunities to maintain and grow the sales pipeline
• Develop technical solutions to meet customer business needs
• Communicate requirements for order fulfillment to sourcing and operations
• Document competitors’ activities and assess potential market moves
• Review and influence customer specifications to assure compliance and/or noted exceptions for development of equipment and service quotations
• Make technical presentations to all levels of customer organization
• Support development of engineering and installation work scopes, schedules and cost estimates to facilitate total scope project offerings
• Put together quality and timely technical scope / solution / customer benefits that can be incorporated into proposal documents
• Be responsible for technical leadership on all Field Service proposals, including identifying on-site material and labor requirements, job-site walks, customer bid reviews, specification reviews and competitive analysis
• Provide input for NPI (New Product Introduction) programs and introduce new services / products to sales / service teams and clients
• Contribute positively to regional sales, orders, profitability, and ITO (Inquiry TO Order) quality goals
• Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an accredited college or university OR a High School Diploma / GED with a minimum of 10 years of experience with the application of Power Distribution upgrades, Relay upgrades, and Arc Flash Mitigation Solutions.
• Minimum of 7 years of experience in application engineering or field engineering in power delivery products and services including a minimum of 5 years of experience working with customers in the oil & gas, metals, mining, pulp and paper, power generation or other general industries
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
• Knowledge of ABB Electrification Products product and service offerings
• Prior experience with customer specifications review, proposal development, and contract development and negotiations
• Prior experience in developing and writing specifications and proposals
• High proficiency in utilizing electronic sales tools including; Salesforce.com, MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Self-directed, highly detail-oriented, organized, and flexible
• Ability to effectively interface with all levels of external / internal customers
• Ability to work effectively within a matrix environment
• Six sigma training or equivalent quality training
• Strong presentation skills
• Strong creative problem solving skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
• Strong customer mindset
• Ability to bring an innovative approach to complicated problem solving
• Ability to provide technical direction and training for leadership program candidates
• Ability to work in a team-oriented setting and develop complex solutions utilizing the entire ABB portfolio
• Experience in establishing value-based pricing combined with reality-based product and service differentiation
• Ability and willingness to travel 75% of the time
• Ability and willingness to obtain and maintain a valid passport and driver's license
• Ability and willingness to travel within the Region
• Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
PLEASE NOTE: Charlotte, NC is the preferred location; however other city locations may be considered.
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.
Add the jobs you want to consider to your shortlist and review later.
Please note that your shortlist is saved locally and will be available only on the same device.
Send the shortlisted jobs to your e-mail.
Your shortlist was successfully sent.
Something went wrong.
Please enter a valid e-mail address.