Consultant Application Engineer
San Jose, California, USA
- Job type
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB (ABBN: SIX Swiss Ex) is a technology leader that is driving the digital transformation of industries. With a history of innovation spanning more than 130 years, ABB has four customer-focused, globally leading businesses: Electrification, Industrial Automation, Motion, and Robotics & Discrete Automation, supported by the ABB Ability™ digital platform. ABB’s Power Grids business will be divested to Hitachi in 2020. ABB operates in more than 100 countries with about 147,000 employees. www.abb.com
ABB is currently seeking a Consultant Application Engineer for its San Jose, California location.
- Analyze and understand customer engineering, business and software requirements, propose technically feasible solutions, estimate required effort, identify risks and formulate implementation approach and assumptions.
- Design, develop, test, integrate and document applications and related work for customer projects, while following best engineering and software development practices.
- Support software releases and assist onsite/support team with expert knowledge, problem analysis, troubleshoot and resolution of defects as required to bringing issues to closure.
- Actively research and further own knowledge in market operation, power system analysis and real time control and support and improve software development practices and documentation.
- Provide expertise and represent the company internal and external discussions with internal stakeholders, customer meetings, industry gatherings.
- Must be willing to travel for short periods of time to visit or support customers around the world.
- Basic Qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in Electrical Engineering with special emphasis in electricity markets.
- Ph.D. Degree or soon to be graduate in Electrical Engineering with special emphasis in electricity markets with a minimum of eight (8) years of experience in Electrical Engineering with special emphasis in electricity markets.
- Ideally this role could be filled at a more senior level should the candidate meet the following:
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of twelve (12) years of experience in Electrical Engineering with special emphasis in electricity markets.
- Ph.D. Degree or soon to be graduate in Electrical Engineering with special emphasis in electricity markets with a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in Electrical Engineering with special emphasis in electricity markets.
- Preferred Qualifications:
- Demonstrated programming skills in high performance, high programming level languages such as FORTRAN or C/C++
- Familiarity with Linux and AIX operating systems
- Proficient English written and oral communication skills
- Formal classroom education in Data Structures and Databases
- Experience developing power system application software for Electricity Market
- Experience with multi-threading, high performance, memory intensive analytical applications
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.