Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- Job type
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB is seeking a Principal Consultant for its Raleigh, North Carolina location. This role is responsible to provide strategic thought leadership, to engage customers in evaluating business impacts through strategic planning, regulatory planning, strategic roadmap development, system improvement and modernization, business case evaluation and justifications, operations, and end-use customer engagement.
- Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- • Promote and extend consultancy to customers through technical networking and industry reputation. Maintain high level industry network profile and interact with senior levels in customer organizations. Perform, lead, manage, and sell complex power system strategy development, business case evaluation, engineering assessment, and operation improvement.
- • Develop and communicate overall positioning, benefits, and features to internal and external stakeholders. Present and discuss technical and commercial subjects with customers based on strong communication and presentation skills (both verbal and written).
- • Understand utility business issues and their underling drivers. Articulate services/solutions/recommendations. Convert customer needs and requirements into a scope of work for services/development/implementation.
- • Promote, sell, and negotiate services to support customer needs.
- • Manage and motivate project teams. Provide technical leadership including assignment of work scope. Mentor less experienced consultants. Review the work of other consultants for necessary modifications on content.
- • Design and develop highly complex business/engineering/system solutions of electrical system and conduct independent studies and research encompassing advanced analytical techniques.
- • As a member of the local Consulting department leadership, proactively contribute to local Business Strategy.
- • Maintain awareness of state-of-the-art technology and market trends affecting Company products and services and recommend responsive actions.
- Basic Qualification:
- • Master’s degree in Electrical Engineering and 7+ years of experience in the electric power industry; OR Bachelor's degree and 9+ years experience in the electric power industry
- • Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in the United States.
- Preferred Qualification:
- • Requires in-depth knowledge of the planning, operation and design of the electrical power industry. Requires proven experience and success in developing and marketing consulting services, and the ability to negotiate and influence decisions of Company managers and customers.
- • Requires in-depth knowledge of the various domains in power system simulation tools: power flow, transient stability, electromagnetic transients, harmonics, etc.
- • Minimum of four (4) years’ experience in grid modernization architecture development, business/technology roadmaps and related project implementation within or for a utility.
- • Understanding of electric utility delivery system operations, such as distribution network, substation system, protection and control operations, associated regulatory requirements, etc.
More about us
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.