Quality & Operational Excellence Specialist
Florence, South Carolina, USA
- Job type
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
Join ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
ABB Distribution Solutions are a global leader in power distribution solutions, delivering pioneering low and medium-voltage innovations and services. We care about your tomorrow, providing solutions for a smarter, safer, environmentally friendly and more reliable flow and distribution of electricity.
The Quality team is dedicated to implementing a culture and practice of excellence throughout the entire value chain of the organization, to increase customer satisfaction and improve profitability in a sustainable way.
The role reports to the Quality Manager and is located in Florence, South Carolina. As a Quality & Operational Excellence Specialist, need to deploy and support a Quality Culture by assuring and controlling Quality with systems, tools and teams to exceed customer expectations while ensuring sustainable operations. Supports and maintains the Quality Management System of the Florence, South Carolina facility.
- Primary function is to manage all the activities related to control, calibration and preventive maintenance of electrical and mechanical measuring and test equipment used in determining evidence of conformity of product to specified requirements.
- Lead savings and productivity improvement activities in the area of calibration and preventive maintenance.
- Coordinates with equipment owners and departments to issue and control all scheduled equipment due for calibration to prevent use of out of calibration equipment.
- Monitor calibration schedule to ensure necessary equipment is properly calibrated in a timely manner. Works closely with calibration contractors to schedule and perform calibration activities.
- Review all calibration and preventive maintenance records and certificates for accuracy and completeness.
- Initiate and report any out of tolerance results. Work with equipment owners to initiate and support investigation of all calibration results for equipment found out of tolerance.
- Coordinate troubleshooting and repair of test equipment as required.
- Create/update calibration procedures within the Quality Management System as needed. Review equipment specifications for the appropriateness of all preventive maintenance requirements.
- Develop or evaluate quality programs, measure quality activities and coordinate quality functions. Recommend and implement measures to improve effectiveness of quality operations and to ensure customer satisfaction.
- Participate in the investigation of technical problems and the establishment of procedures and corrective actions to avoid recurrence.
- Responsible for reduction of waste and execution of continuous improvement activities in all areas of the production floor.
- Support incoming and outgoing inspection activities depending on manpower availability or work loading. Activities may include inspecting components, subassemblies, relays and complete breakers.
- A mixture of measuring and test equipment and visual inspection is required to ensure product conforms to the design requirements. Will need to become proficient at the various inspection systems.
- Support with generation of Quality Notifications in SAP, control and disposition of non-conforming material.
- Assist with investigations/research on behalf of Engineering for troubleshooting and product development activities.
- Perform internal audits to verify compliance to ABB procedures and support external audits of our supplier base.
- Associate’s Degree in Technical field or related field with minimum of 7 years experience, or alternatively, a special combination of education and experience and/or demonstrated accomplishments.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Proficiency with MS Word & Excel.
- Demonstrated ability in the use of measuring and test equipment.
- Demonstrated experience for taking the initiative (being a self-starter).
- Demonstrated experience with Lean and Six Sigma continuous improvement methodologies (e.g. Lean and Six Sigma).
- Metrology skills including a sound understanding of dimensional tolerances and usage of precise mechanical and electrical measurement instruments. Inspection/testing, read & understand technical drawings.
- Preferred knowledge of special processes (e.g., heat treat, plating, painting, welding) and the use of specialized inspection and testing equipment.
- Metrology skills. Proficient in SAP. Being a Certified Quality Inspector (CQI) and/or Certified Six Sigma Green Belt (CSSGB) a plus.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.