Technical Support Specialist
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
- Job type
- Retirement plan
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Medical insurance
- Wellbeing program
Take your next career step at ABB with a global team that is energizing the transformation of society and industry to achieve a more productive, sustainable future.
At ABB, we have the clear goal of driving diversity and inclusion across all dimensions: gender, LGBTQ+, abilities, ethnicity and generations. Together, we are embarking on a journey where each and every one of us, individually and collectively, welcomes and celebrates individual differences.
ABB Process Automation is writing the future of safe and smart operations. With our deep industry knowledge and automation expertise, we understand the needs of our customers and enable them to lead through safer, more productive, and energy efficient operations.
Working with customers to ensure our products and systems provide maximum performance, our Service teams solve a wide variety of key industrial challenges. We increase productivity and reliability, lengthen product life span and improve safety. Critically, we also reduce costs, energy consumption and emissions.
The role reports to the Service Team Manager and is located in Cleveland, Ohio. As a Technical Support Specialist, you will joining the Global PA PCP (Process Automation – Process Control Platform) Level 3 Support team of product experts. PCP is a backend organization responsible for development, distribution and support of leading-edge process automation products. Those products are integrated by ABB front end organizations responsible for design, deployment and service of end customer solutions across multiple verticals in the Energy, Process and Marine industries. PCP Level 3 Support is a globally distribute organization of product experts located in Sweden, Germany, Italy, Czech Republic, India, China, Japan, Singapore and the United States.
As a Technical Support Specialist, you are responsible to ABB front end Level 2 support organizations for all aspects of customer issue resolution during system design, acceptance testing, installation, commissioning and long-term operation of installed systems. You will thereby interact closely with local ABB customer responsible project and service organizations as well as other PCP Level 3 organizations, Product Management and Research and development (R&D) with occasional direct end customer contact.
Additionally, you will contribute to product quality and product design through interaction in product development projects by addressing quality, maintenance and supportability aspects of our products.
- Manage support cases concerning PCP products escalated by ABB front end Level 2 organizations maintaining complete transparency to all parties concerning identified issues, current status and plan for resolution as well as ensure proper case documentation on closure.
- Diagnose and Isolate problems through analysis of user problem descriptions, review of log files, remote diagnostics, etc. in order to provide technical expertise to resolve identified issues.
- Reproduce identified issues in lab environment in order to either provide proven resolution to caller’s concerns or ability to represent problem to Level 4 R&D organization in order to identify product defects.
- Occasionally participate in field/site activities to diagnose and resolve complex issues or conduct system health checks.
- Participate in meetings with front end L2 organizations, other L3 centers, L4 R&D organizations and occasionally end customers to facilitate information gathering and description of planned or implemented resolutions.
- Maintain technical competence for responsible products and third-party technologies.
- Contribute to knowledge database of known product issues to facilitate sharing of information with other support personnel to aid in future problem solving.
- Identify systemic issues and participate in the development of field communications to be released to the public.
- Participate in product development projects to help define supportability requirements and product support plans gaining knowledge of new product features and capabilities in preparation of supporting releases of new products, product features or product versions.
- Maintain lab environments keeping systems up to date with new system versions and introduction of new products and components while also maintaining backward combability for all supported product versions.
- Provide cross training of L3 personnel both in local and other global L3 organizations.
- Willing to consult as needed during local non-business hours occasionally.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or equivalent required.
- 5 years of professional experience in process automation business with sound knowledge and hands-on experience in servicing, maintaining or commissioning of systems.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US.
- Preferably knowledge in ABB PAPCP products (800xA, Symphony+, Freelance, etc.).
- A high level of self-motivation, curiosity and desire to learn about new technologies applying a problem-solving and solution-oriented mindset.
- Demonstrated sense of ownership and responsibility working both individually and in a team.
- Good English communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Possible requirement for domestic and international travel in specific cases.
- Travel up to 10% possible.
More about us
We look forward to receiving your application. If you want to discover more about ABB, take another look at our website www.abb.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status. For more information regarding your (EEO) rights as an applicant, please visit the following websites:
As an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, applicants may request to review the Affirmative Action Plan of a particular ABB facility between the hours of 9:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M. EST Monday through Friday by contacting an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762.
Protected veterans and qualified individuals with a disability may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access ABB's career site as a result of your disability. You may request reasonable accommodations by calling an ABB HR Representative at 1-888-694-7762 or by sending an email to US-AskHR@abb.com. Resumes and applications will not be accepted in this manner.