Senior Legal Counsel, Kusile
Modderfontein, Gauteng, South Africa
- Job type
- Car allowance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Retirement plan
Join your career at ABB, working in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
You will be responsible as Senior Legal Counsel and will be a part of the Legal and Integrity for Business function Legal and Integrity business line based in Modderfontein, South Africa. In this role you will be supporting Industrial Automation Business for the Kusile Project. You will be located at both the sites Kusile (75% of time) and ABB Longmeadow Corporate Office, Johannesburg (25% of time).
- Drafting of contracts including clear understanding of terms and conditions. Identifying risk, evaluating, assessing and mitigating in the contractual context. Balancing opportunity as against risks.
- Drafting of letters of demand, internal advisory memorandum and similar types of documents.
- Working with ABB General Counsel, South Africa on assisting with instructing external counsel when required, providing relevant information and managing their fees.
- Attending, holding and leading meetings with internal clients, customers, external counsel and other stakeholders.
- Ability to effectively and constructively negotiating with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders and across cultural and national differences.
- Working in a site office at a remote area and interacting with different employees and observing, promoting and advising safety at all times.
- Living ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- Minimum qualification is an LLB degree from a South African university. Further legal qualifications will be a bonus particularly in areas like tax, insurance, contract law.
- Qualified and admitted Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
- At least ten years post-articles practical experience at a reputable law firm or at reputable companies with experience in construction contracts like NEC, FIDIC and bespoke construction agreements particularly in the energy and/or construction industries. Practical experience in advising on construction contract interpretation, assessment of impact on project from contract perspective, preparation of legal letters, claims, disputes, etc both in relation to customer and suppliers Working with project team and a wide variety of differentially skilled professionals (engineers, project managers, site managers, quantity surveyors, HSE officers, quality experts, other managers and employees – both White and Blue collars employed by contractors).
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Join ABB and harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.