Senior Legal Counsel, IA
Modderfontein, Gauteng, South Africa
- Job type
- Car allowance
- Life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Retirement plan
Take the next step in your career at ABB and work in a team that is dedicated to creating a future where innovative digital technologies allow greater access to cleaner energy.
This position is for Senior Legal Counsel to support the Industrial Automation Business for the Kusile Project. In this role you will be located primarily at ABB Longmeadow Corporate Office, Johannesburg supporting the relevant business unit, but it is anticipated that there may be times when you may need to be on site at Kusile. You will be reporting into the Corporate Function – Legal & Integrity.
- Drafting of contracts including clear understanding of terms and conditions.
- Balancing opportunity as against risks.
- Identifying risk, evaluation, assessment and mitigation in the contractual context.
- Drafting of letters of demand, internal advisory memorandum and similar types of documents.
- Working with ABB General Counsel, South Africa on assisting with instructing external counsel when required, providing relevant information and managing their fees.
- Litigation OR dispute resolution experience- mediation OR adjudication, arbitration OR High Court; managing external law firm support; liaising with business on requirements for the litigation.
- Attending, holding and leading meetings with internal clients, customers, external counsel and other stakeholders.
- Negotiating effectively and constructively with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders and across cultural and national differences.
- Application of principles of construction contracts and commercial law to practical situations within the manufacturing OR energy OR construction industry.
- Advising or entering discussions with Organized labor (Unions/shop stewards) at site.
- Living ABB’s core values of safety and integrity, which means taking responsibility for your own actions while caring for your colleagues and the business.
- A Bachelor’s degree in law from a South African university. Further legal qualifications will be a bonus particularly in areas like tax, insurance, contract law, etc.
- Candidate should be qualified and admitted Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
- At least ten years post-articles practical experience at a reputable law firm or at reputable companies with experience in construction OR engineering contracts like NEC, FIDIC and bespoke construction OR engineering contracts specifically in the energy OR construction industries. Practical experience in advising on construction contract interpretation, assessment of impact on project from contract perspective, preparation of legal letters, claims, disputes OR litigation, etc both in relation to customer and suppliers. The successful candidate will need to have substantial and proven experience in understanding and managing disputes and litigation on such contracts, managing and instructing external legal counsel, experts, document management and costs, acting as the central point of contact with the business on the requirements in respect of the litigation, etc. Working with project team and a wide variety of differentially skilled professionals (engineers, project managers, site managers, quantity surveyors, HSE officers, quality experts, other managers and employees – both White and Blue collars employed by contractors).
- Experience in contract management of complex construction projects and of construction-related claims OR disputes is a must. Experience on site is highly appreciated.
- Candidate should have experience in delivering seminars and training sessions in contract issues.
- Candidate must be prepared to work reasonable long hours, particularly, when from time to time, Kusile (and other) site meetings are convened.
- Candidate must be willing and able to travel and should have valid passport in the event of any international transport requirements.
- Candidate must be self-motivated and dynamic and be willing to work in a team or independently as the circumstances require.
- Candidate should have strong commitment to integrity. Additional knowledge or experience in compliance and integrity issues will be valuable.
- Candidate should have excellent collaboration, communication, presentation and time management skills.
- Candidate needs to have a strong personality but should be flexible and be able to listen fairly and objectively to others views while maintaining the company (and the individual’s) integrity and value system.
- Candidate should be able and ready to travel between different locations.
- Strong and flexible negotiation skills are must.
- Candidate should have strong fluency in English language – speaking and writing.
- Candidates should be comfortable to work both at corporate level and in a site office at a remote area and meet different employees and still observe, promote and advice safety at all times.
More about us
Bring your very own sense of pride and purpose as you help us drive forward the Fourth Industrial Revolution – creating a sustainable future for our planet, and your career. Harness the power of our diverse global network, as you collaborate with and learn from our world-class teams. Above all, challenge yourself every day. Let’s write the future, together.
Should you be interested in applying for this vacancy and for any additional information please refer to the ABB Career page: https://new.abb.com/careers.
Take note, that only application received via the ABB Career page will be considered.