Oil & Gas - Upstream applications
In this area there are both onshore and offshore applications such as drilling rigs and production platforms. Open to fluctuating weather conditions, equipment in these areas needs to be able to withstand salty, exposed and abrasive environments. Products tend to be manufactured from stainless steel or by ensuring that the product is coated or painted to withstand these environments.
Equipment in offshore applications also needs to be hard wearing and easy to maintain as production downtime can be extremely costly. ABB products in many offshore applications protect critical data and power cables, whether it is data cables from a gas detector or the cable protection on a power transmission unit, ABB offers a whole range of products that are tested and approved to many of the world standards.
- Salt water corrosion (offshore platforms)
- Oil and chemical resistance (Drilling rig MUD)
- Extreme ambient temperature
- Protection level
- Connectivity to other pieces of equipment
- Consequence of down time
- Approval level required (Ex e, Ex d, etc.)
- Approval specification required ATEX, IECEx
- Where product will be positioned, e.g. Zone 1 or Zone 2