This versatile state-of-the-art distributed solution helps to safely connect an incoming power source or a network with a reference power network by controlling the voltage and frequency outputs of the generator(s) participating in the synchronization process, through their respective speed governor and automatic voltage regulator units.
The solution comprises of single or multiple Relion REX640 protection relays utilizing the full potential of the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation devices.;
IEC 61850 GOOSE communication between the ABB devices ensures that a reliable exchange of signals required for autosynchronization functionality.
- To connect an ‘incoming’ power source to the bus bar (after generator trip or total power failure)
- To connect islanded plant power network back with utility grid
- To reconnect two parts of the plant networks (“left side” and “right side”)
- Automatic operation for grid incomer and bus coupler synchronization
- Manual, semi-automatic and fully automatic operation modes
- Eliminates the need of dedicated voltage selection scheme and complexity
- Ensures complete safety of the switchgear equipment and generators
- Safeguards customer investment
- REX640 as a single device for islanding, voltage control and autosynchronization