The compact load-shedding solution is designed to unleash the full potential of the IEC 61850 standard for communication and interoperability of substation automation devices. It is based on full integration of ABB's Relion protection and control relays, Remote I/O unit RIO600 and Human Machine Interface (HMI)-based on COM600. The fast IEC 61850 GOOSE communication between the ABB devices ensures that the load-shedding signals are exchanged and distributed within milliseconds to avoid unnecessary loss-of-time in important processes.
In case of disturbance, for example, loss of power source, such as grid connection, the load-shedding function needs to avoid a total shutdown in plant power distribution. This is done via switching off non-critical loads and securing power to critical loads. This should be done accurately and quickly (within few tens of milliseconds).
- Comprehensive power and under frequency based load-shedding
- Safeguards and provides value for investments
- Ensures high availability of customer processes through a high-performance solution, using the full potential of the IEC 61850 communication standard
- Seamless integration of protection and control, station automation, and power management functionality in medium-voltage switchgear
- Offers increased flexibility and scalability and improved system integration and customization, fulfilling a variety of requirements
- All load-shedding modes enabled and available for use with every device
- Easy system integration using IEC 61850; guaranteed load-shedding command generation time of up to 20 milliseconds from disturbance detection