BORDLINE Energy Storage System (ESS) is a Lithium-ion based onboard energy storage system that is characterized by its high safety level and achievable lifetime. BORDLINE ESS is suitable for use as a traction or as an auxiliary battery and is designed for use in road and railway vehicles.
Its modular design allows easy scalability in terms of installed energy and flexible mechanical integration either on the roof, in the machine-room or underfloor of the vehicle. The capabilities of ABB Ability™ platform together with ABB’s domain expertise enhances customer value by providing predictive maintenance, condition monitoring and optimization of the energy storage system with advanced remote diagnostic services.
- Light Rail Vehicles: Partial or full catenary-free operation, braking energy recuperation and line voltage stabilization
- Diesel Multiple Units: Braking energy recuperation, peak power assist, fuel economy, emission and local noise reduction
- Electric Multiple Units: Catenary-free operation on non-electrified sections
- Locomotives: Last mile operation and shunting operation in depots or yards
- Shunting locomotives and tractors: Diesel-free operation in tunnels/depots/yards, fuel savings with braking energy recuperation, local emission and noise reduction
- Maintenance vehicles: Operation without diesel engine to reduce emissions and noise during maintenance work, fuel savings with braking energy recuperation during transfer, reduce diesel engine maintenance costs, local emission and noise reduction
- Trolleybus: Range extension without overhead supply, braking energy recuperation, and line voltage stabilization
- eBus and eTrucks: De-carbonization of mass and freight transport and reduced total cost of ownership
- Mining and off-road vehicles
- On-board auxiliary battery for railway applications
- Wayside DC charging stations