In designing the IRB 8700, ABB focused on delivering a reliable robot with a low total cost of ownership. Through a combination of robust design elements, including simpler parts configurations where possible, ABB Robotics applied decades of engineering experience to combine the high performance customers require w ith low overall maintenance needs. In addition, the IRB 8700 delivers 25% faster speeds than any other robot in this class size.
Features and benefits:
- High payloads up to 1000 kg with the wrist down
- 25% faster speeds than other robots in this size class
- Highly reliable with simplified design and Foundry Plus 2 protection standard
- Built around LeanID for reduced wear on dress packs and ease of simulation
- Built using non-hazardous materials
With a straightforward and uncomplicated design that uses world-class components, LeanID for the best cost-to-endurance ratio in a dress pack, and ABB’s Foundry Plus 2 as standard protection, the IRB 8700 will run with very high uptime—a key feature in production lines that operate around the clock.
The IRB 8700 has only one motor and one gear per robot axis, while most other robots in this size class use dual motors and/or gears. In addition, there are no gas springs that can leak and cause safety problems, only a reliable counterweight and mechanical springs for counter balancing. Together these design elements mean fewer components to fail while delivering shorter cycle times and higher accuracy.