Intelligent digital technology to maximize transformer’s return on investment.
As essential elements in the power grid; transformers, continue to face challenges due to ever-increasing complexity of modern energy demand.
Availability of accurate and timely information about a transformer’s performance helps in making informed operations and maintenance decisions.
However, Transformer performance data is not easily available to businesses. In cases where performance data is available such as substation loading data, it is not informative enough to offer important business insights.
As the world leaders in transformers, ABB has responded to these challenges by introducing world’s first digital distribution transformer technology - TXpertTM.
TXpertTM is intelligent digital technology built into an ABB transformer. It is a result of unique synergy between ABB’s digital expertise and the proven technology and reliability of ABB transformers.
is equipped with an array of sensors that collate data and convert it into actionable intelligence by providing valuable information on how the transformer and grid are operating. Users are thus enabled to make informed decisions for reducing unplanned outage, optimizing operational expenses and maximising transformer utilization.
TXpert helps businesses to move from a time-based maintenance approach to a more result-oriented, condition-based maintenance approach that optimizes operations.
Efficient ‘end-of-life’ analytics by TXpertTM helps to to avoid outages and premature transformer replacement to maximize returns on investments.
The TXpertTM technology is built upon an extensible digital platform with software that can be updated during the transformer’s life. It uses ethernet and optional Wi-Fi communications to access locally stored and securely encrypted data without interrupting transformer operations. TXpert enables remote transformer management by sending notifications and advance warnings of potential hazards to operations and asset management, thereby preventing equipment damage and ensuring a long lifespan.
After the successful implementation of this technology in liquid-filled distribution transformers, TXpertTM is now integrated in ABB's dry-type or oil-free transformer for the world's first digital dry-type or oil-free transformer.
TXpertTM now combines the excellence of digital technology with the safety of dry-type transformers. These transformers only use air for cooling and non-flammable solid dielectrics for insulation; eliminating concerns of fires, leaks or environmental hazards that come from using oils.
With its dry-type design, digitalization and little or zero maintenance, the ABB TXpertTM Dry an intelligent digital transformer technology that is not only safe for people and environment but also reduces unplanned outages, optimizes operations and increases transformer utilization.
- First of its kind in the world
- Reduces unplanned outages by tracking transformer performance and delivering advance warning of potential threats
- Moves transformer maintenance from a time-based to condition-based strategy to optimize operations by focusing on the transformers that need attention.
- Improved transformer utilization by reliably delivering insightful ‘spent-life’ analysis to make an informed business decision whether to extend the life of or early retire a transformer.
- Increased productivity and profitability
Special Features of TXpertTM
- Local and remote monitoring with wired and wireless connectivity
- Interactive GUI for ease of use in the field
- Inference and predictive analytics
- Easy access to data through manual export and automated data push
- On-board data storage with multiple levels of encryption
Product scope for TXpertTM with dry type transformers
- Oil-free dry-type digital transformer technology
- up to 10 MVA
- Secondary voltages up to 5kV and soon 15 kV
- Multi-layer cybersecurity
- Indoor & Outdoor application
Product scope for TXpertTM with liquid type transformers
- Liquid-filled distribution transformer technology
- up to 10 MVA
- Primary up to 36 kV
- Secondary up to 5kV and soon 15 kV
- ANSI and IEC standards
- Applications: utilities, renewables, oil & gas, industrial and data centers
- Respectful with people and property
- 130 years of experience in manufacturing transformers
- State-of-the-art dry transformer technology
- More than 40,000 dry-type transformers operating all around the globe
- Custom-made solution to withstand physical and operating constraints
- Global and comprehensive support network, providing 24/7 assistance and service