HVDC Light® is a state-of-the-art power system designed to transmit power underground and under water, also over long distances. It offers numerous environmental benefits, including “invisible” power lines, neutral electromagnetic fields, oil-free cables and compact converter stations.
HVDC Light® increases the reliability of power grids, and the technology extends the economical power range of HVDC transmission down to just a few tens of Megawatts (MW). In the upper range, the technology now reaches 1,500 MW and +-500 kV.
It is quick to install and provides an alternative to conventional AC transmission systems and local generation.
Possible applications include:
- Connecting wind farms to power grids
- Underground power links
- Providing shore power supplies to islands and offshore oil & gas platforms
- Connecting asynchronous grids
- City center infeed
- The HVDC Light® underground cable technology makes it easy to obtain permits for the new link
- The superb controllability if the HVDC Light® also contributes to improve the voltage stability of the entire AC network