Power transformers have complex internal systems that degrade over time. As a consequence, it may be necessary to inspect the internal components for signs of abnormal operation. ABB’s TXplore accomplishes an internal inspection examining the structure of the transformer without the need to remove the oil and send an inspector into the confined space of a power transformer.
Using the TXplore system avoids the danger of a spill when handling the oil and risk of sending someone inside the transformer to perform an inspection. This can be accomplished during a very brief outage versus conventional inspections that require multiple days. Also, a significant cost savings is accomplished by avoiding the oil handling and processing equipment needed to remove the oil and reprocess and fill the transformer when a traditional internal inspection is complete.
ABB Ability TXplore service can be scheduled ahead of time to take advantage of a planned outage with little or no increased downtime. It is also possible to deploy the service team to perform an inspection when unexpected issues are encountered.
- Use on any oil-filled power transformer
- Compatible with mineral or ester fluids
- Eliminates the risk of a person entering the confined space environment
- Inspection can begin immediately after taking an outage
- Significant reduction in outage time
- No, or very little, oil needs to be handled
- Eliminates the need for a confined space rescue team
- Near real time images are available to ABB transformer experts
- As issues are identified, experts from around the world can provide diagnostic support
- A report is provided to customers when issues place the transformer at risk with solutions to improve reliability
- Unknown condition is indentified with high quality images and expert review