ABB’s Effilight® traction transformer is a next generation traction transformer that reduces the weight of on-board components and ensures more energy-efficient rail networks, two of the rail industry’s priority objectives.
Traditionally made of iron and copper, traction transformers are among the heavier components on a train. They use oil for insulation and cooling, for its excellent electrical insulating properties and high reliability.
Effilight uses a unique and patented high-technology cell design that reduces the amount of oil needed by up to 70 percent, without compromising functionality. The technology enables unprecedented weight reduction (up to 20%) and energy savings (up to 50%) for train manufacturers and rail operators.
- Suitable for roof, machine room and under frame installation
- Available for 15 kV and 25 kV
- Available in steel or aluminum tank
- Appropriate for retrofit and new train platform
- Air natural cooling enabler (ODAN)
- Modular concept